cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Nest Mini gen 2 keeps saying "Sorry, I can't change the volume from this device"

Suzique
Community Member

Everything has been working fine for ages, now I'm asking Google to change the volume and it says...
"sorry, I can't change the volume on this device". 
 I've gone through my Google Home settings and I can adjust the volume within that.  I can also adjust the volume when I tap on the speaker....but it won't obey commands.
It is set up in Stereo with another Nest Mini....and that works fine.
If I ask other things, eg time, weather...it's fine.  If I ask it to turn on/off the light...it's fine.

1 Recommended Answer

JillG
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

I know that most of you will have already seen our Community's Blog post about the speaker volume here Upcoming Speaker Group changes - Google Nest Community 

I will check to see if we can get this link put near the top or pinned so everybody is informed.  

Updated: directed to select as solution and that is the only way to keep it at the top.

View Recommended Answer in original post

318 REPLIES 318

Desiderp
Community Member

Same here. Very annoying. Should be something you test before releasing updates.

My nest hub and nest mini (both 2nd gen) are in a group together.  I do not have anything paired, it is just those 2 in the group.

garbygarby
Community Member

sames. she just keeps saying Sorry, I cont change the volume on this device.

she says cont, cuz she's british.

JustMe2
Community Member

Not sure what's going on but I wish the would fix the issue. I even created a new speaker group and now I can't even delete the stupid thing!

Hung_Man
Community Member

THIS POST ABOVE IS THE ANSWER...

"Your work-around of "hey google transfer media to [speaker group]" appears to be the easiest solution.  Worked perfectly for me.  Thank you"

By default mine place on "left Speaker" but my group is called, "Big Speaker" move it to big and volume works again!

RS_SW
Community Member

Thanks for that prompt Hung_Man - that works for me 👍

🤞- hope Google are still working on a fix!

I glad it works for you but that didn't seem to do the trick for me. Drat. Perhaps because i always tell my display which speaker group to play on every time i initiate  music in the first place.

Interestingly, this started happening a week or two ago, then it fixed itself for no apparent reason, now it's doing it again. 

FixSpkrPairVol
Community Member

Same issue with my stereo paired Nest minis. After no joy following reboots, I wiped everything and started a new home. Still no joy.

This just after the AWS outage took out my Wyze bulbs for 24 hours. 

I picked up the Nest mini pair, bulbs and outlets recently, so I would have an easier time making my home go when my body is refusing to cooperate (physical disability).

and I was just getting used to doing everything by voice...

Ah poop, at least I can still use the Home app

KeithTheFly
Community Member

Same issue. Been working for years but starting yesterday unable to change volume.

Kadven
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

Same with me. Stopped working a few days ago.

Kadven
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

Hi. Don't know if this will help others but have solved the problem for me. My speakers were set up as stereo pair. I unpaired them and could then adjust the volume just using one speaker by voice command. I then repaired them in stereo and they now work correctly, e.g. adjusting volume by voice command now works on the stereo pair.

Suzique
Community Member

What country are you located in?  Interesting post below about lawsuit between Google and Sonos.... Wondering if it is country specific? I'm in Australia and mine are back working as a stereo pair again.

Halo69
Community Member

I'm located in the Netherlands. 

Rene2022
Community Member

Ik ook Nl ik krijg de volume ook niet aan de praat,na een resetten werkt het even en dan niet meer 

KyleH
Community Member

Same issue started yesterday. It affects all my devices and I don't have any pairs set. 3 nest mini 2, 1 nest audio, and 1 nest hub Mini. All have the same issue.

henriklundtofte
Community Member

Google Nest Audio; 1 single, 2 in stereo and a Chromecast (with a HDMI sound extractor connected my Amp) all in same group.

Only works if I setup in a routine, and only works if I call each speaker. Calling Group name doesn't work.

My routines (a few examples):

Name 50% :

• Volume 5 Kitchen speaker
  • Volume 5 Office speaker
  • Volume 5 Chromecast

Name Turn it up (only works if I give the command with the phone so not really that helpful):

• Turn up Kitchen speaker 
  • Turn up Office speaker
  • Turn up Chromecast

Actually I thought it was the Danish translation that was messing with me, but we are truly one nation....against Google 😉

FredK
Community Member

Cannot control volume of a group since few days. That feature that was working for years. Very anoying these bugs with Google updates. That feature that was working for year Is Google test there firmwares before releasing it to million of users? Is there a place to submit bugs and have answers on it? 

Tenorindo
Community Member

Fixed the problem. I put the speakers in one group in google home app first. And then put the pairs together after that, and I keep the bluetooth connected while making the pairs. Hope this help

Robi
Community Member

Not sure what you mean by putting the pairs together? I create all my groups in the app.

Bridgeview
Community Member

Same problem 

Fede
Community Member

Same problem, can't change volume on paired speakers (stereo configuration) with voice command.

Suti
Community Member

Also same problem... 

SHEL
Community Member

Same problem starting this morning

saintxseiya
Community Member

Same Problem, group of 6 speakers... None paired as Stereo device.

placido
Community Member

Same issue here. Google please fix it ASAP!

nickp001
Community Member

Same!

FixSpkrPairVol
Community Member

Interesting thread...

https://www.reddit.com/r/googlehome/comments/rjbpde/did_google_just_disable_stereo_pair_volume

Google is definitely actively making changes on the back end. Since this evening Pacific time, every other time I open the Home app something is behaving differently, same for voice command responses.

Also odd that changes started happening shortly after I posted  reviews of Home & Assistant on the Play Store. Surely coincidental.

Kind of interesting to watch. I've never had a product change it's behavior so often in such a short time as tonight.

In any case, I haven't a care about lawsuits or desire for anyone to get a pie in the face. I just want my helpful tech toys to work.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out (and whitness how many more loop-d-loops my setup is going to display).

If big G is listening, thank you for kind-of fixing my issue. Best of luck in the suit. As one said on Reddit, the whole patent on functions vs code is just wacky. 

-- list

Interesting....the plot thickens. Mine are back working again, as a stereo pair.....but I'm in Australia. I'm wondering if Google has changed settings specific to certain countries...eg USA.  I noticed a few people have managed to fix the problem, but it would be interesting to see what country they are located in.

Suzique
Community Member

Further update....mine are again not working!!

jamal01
Community Member

hopefully it doesnt last more than a couple days

chiPersei
Community Member

This just started happening to me too.  When I ask my Google Nest Hub Max to raise or lower volume on my Google Max speakers it replies " Sorry, I can't change the volume on this device".  Just noticed it about 9:00 PM pacific 12/18/21.

jamal01
Community Member

Same issue "sorry I cant change the volume on this device"

Scigeeks
Community Member

Absolute rubbish! "Sorry I cannot change the volume on this device" voice control of volume has worked fine... The last few days l get the following message... I have tried factory reset... Everything... Wasted hours of my life as this is so annoying. Has their been a recent update? Either way... Other people are having the same problem.... I have two google nest audios paired and a Google hub display (2nd gen)... Please help..... This is so frustrating...

Kadven
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

Further update. Not working again today, Sunday in UK by the way.

Unpaired the stereo pair again and after re-pairing it is again working again.

If I have to do this daily it is crazy.

mckp
Community Member

Had the issue for the last few days and it's really annoying. I've just ordered a pair of Alexa Dots (G3). In the UK they're current selling two for £29 or £17 each. 

jamal01
Community Member

As someone coming from the Alexa ecosystem don't think it's without its problems too =(

mckp
Community Member

I already have Alexa devices as well as Google, so well aware of problems. I don't mind replacing my paired devices in the kitchen with Echo Dots until this issue is sorted.

Falcon1234
Community Member

It probably is a bug due to the speaker sync copyright software dispute. I found that if just say hey google play so and so - It will play on the main speaker - Then say hey google play this on home group - Your other speakers will kick in and the adjust volume command works again.

Chrisopherj
Community Member

Same! 😡

It probably is a bug due to the speaker sync copyright software dispute. I found that if just say hey google play (whatever you want to play) - It will play on the main speaker - While it is playing say hey google play this on (home group) - Your other speakers will kick in and the adjust volume command works again. Let me know if this works for you.

ridahoan
Community Member

No advice to offer but same here with two separate speaker pairs (nest audio speakers) in separate speaker groups controlled by 1) a nest hub and 2) by a nest wifi point.

Extremely annoying as I try to adjust the volume from bed when the speakers decide they are on max volume.

Google seems to confirm the hypothesis that our reality is just a huge simulation, and we are actors tasked with generating data.