cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Nest Mini gen 2 keeps saying "Sorry, I can't change the volume from this device"

Suzique
Community Member

Everything has been working fine for ages, now I'm asking Google to change the volume and it says...
"sorry, I can't change the volume on this device". 
 I've gone through my Google Home settings and I can adjust the volume within that.  I can also adjust the volume when I tap on the speaker....but it won't obey commands.
It is set up in Stereo with another Nest Mini....and that works fine.
If I ask other things, eg time, weather...it's fine.  If I ask it to turn on/off the light...it's fine.

1 Recommended Answer

JillG
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

I know that most of you will have already seen our Community's Blog post about the speaker volume here Upcoming Speaker Group changes - Google Nest Community 

I will check to see if we can get this link put near the top or pinned so everybody is informed.  

Updated: directed to select as solution and that is the only way to keep it at the top.

View Recommended Answer in original post

318 REPLIES 318

It probably is a bug due to the speaker sync copyright software dispute. I found that if just say hey google play (whatever you want to play) - It will play on the main speaker - While it is playing say hey google play this on (home group) - Your other speakers will kick in and the adjust volume command works again. Let me know if this works for you.

ronw
Community Member

My period now seems to be working ok. Have tried increasing and decreasing volunteer. No problems

ScottElsworthy
Community Member

Any ETA on when this bug will be patched?

Had anyone reported it to Google?

This is a google support forum so I'd hope they are reading it..

vk2xxy
Community Member

Hey Google, send feedback.

gradam
Community Member

Same problem here. Rebooting etc nothing helps!

Reverser
Community Member

Same problem.  Please fix Google.

Sleepysheeep
Community Member

Not sure if this is the same issue as you guys, but I have a day long routine where it adjusts volumes on speakers at various times. I've had this message pop up as an error since end Nov.

No speaker pairs on my set up, and even though I have groups, the routine volume commands are set up for each speaker, e.g. "set volume on living room speaker to 50%"

When I run the same command (in text format) straight into Google home app, it does it fine, so not sure why it doesn't work in routine...

This. I have similar Routine that's been running fine for years. Now it repeatedly adjusts the volume on the device where I start the routine instead of the device named in the routines' step. Very frustrating.

Macast84
Community Member

I have also the same problem with my  Nest Hub and Nest audio.

Location is belgium

Kadven
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

Further update, again it stopped working again this morning. Done some more checking and it seems to be down to that fact that I often use Spotify on my IPAD Mini to switch to different music tracks when using the Nest Audio. It seems to think that it can then no longer use the voice volume control since it then thinks it is playing on the IPAD and just being cast even if I turn m the IPAD off. Solution I've found is to say the the Google Nest Audio 'play Spotify on this device'. Sounds goes off for a split second then resumes and it then responds correctly to the volume control.

I never had this problem up until a couple of days ago so it must be a change that has taken place,

DHeraud
Community Member

Same issue for me, I only started noticing it this weekend as I can no longer adjust the volume on my speaker group.

LJD
Community Member

Ditto. ANY FIX THAT STICKS HAPPENING SOON, GOOGLE?

jamal01
Community Member

Google support chat claims that "Enigneers are aware and working on a fix"

jamal01
Community Member

Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but if you go into the Google Home app, a speaker pair looks different than a single speaker once you click into it. 

Have a look at the two images. The speaker pair only has a little play button and I cannot change the volume, pressing the play button does nothing and there is nothing being casted (media tab is empty) 
The single speaker shows volume control. 

speaker pair no volume controlspeaker pair no volume controlsingle speakersingle speaker

LJD
Community Member

Mine still show on individual and group, thank goodness. iOS.

91498D49-6258-429B-9E61-A8686653FBA3.png

7C1A2967-6660-4554-9025-AE4F1D51D6C3.png

Macast84
Community Member

Screenshot_20211220-160647_Home.jpg

I have the option for adjusting the volume in a speakergroup and I can change it.

But my conclusion is: where you started the command to play music on a device.

Then on that device you can not change the volume anymore when you ask it to do it.

danpaddy
Community Member

We have two speakers in a pair and it has startes doing this today. Utter nonsense. How can these be so rubbish? Seriously considering swapping to Amazon at the point. I have 4 speakers, a display and a Google TV. They are all an utter pain to use.

ScottElsworthy
Community Member

Any reply from Google with an ETA on the bug fix yet?

No ETA but they said they are aware and working on a fix

Jborcherding
Community Member

Same issue here as well. I've tried the steps mentioned by everybody. Factory reset each speaker (2nd Gen Nest Speaker), set them up separately then paired them. Volume control command worked for the first command, then stopped again. Rebooted them, volume control command worked for the first command, then stopped thereafter.

yea hopefully they have a fix soon

bjzyo
Community Member

Same issue in Italy

N8
Community Member

Having the same problem with a nest audio stereo pair. 

LeoS
Community Member

Same problem here. Searching the internet I've found this may not be a bug, but a problem with patent infringement with Sonos. Found a discussion on the topic on:

https://www.reddit.com/r/googlehome/comments/rjbpde/did_google_just_disable_stereo_pair_volume/

Desiderp
Community Member

Even if that was the case there are a ton of us (like me) having nothing paired and getting this "Sorry, I can't change the volume from this device" when changing volume of a speaker group.

If they changed it for stereo pairs it should not affect normal groups without paired speakers. Maybe that's the bug Google support recognizes there is.

And if it was about the patent infringement case I dont see why they did not push an apologetic notification towards their customers or at the least a reply in this topic. 

Its just a guessing game at this point, and not one i personally enjoy! 

jomarch
Community Member

Same here. Can't use voice control for adjusting the volume for the speaker group. I can do individual devices with voice control and I can do the group or the individual devices in the home app. Started a week or two ago?

Bjm
Community Member

One of the issues is playing music to a speaker group which includes two paired mini nests. Google will never admit it but this is a problem. Unpair your paired minis and your speaker group will mysteriously start working without an issue again. 

Bahagriller
Community Member

Same issues.  Unpaired then repaired but changed Left blinking speaker to the Right and voice command is working [for the moment].

gpwusa
Community Member

I am another with the same issue.  I have 14 devices throughout the house, several in pairs and many different groupings.  If factory reset is the solution that will be a time consuming experience.  

jamal01
Community Member

dont bother with a factory reset, you'll be wasting your time. Google needs to push an update. Factory resets are only useful when its an issue with your specific device. For a widespread issue a factory reset is unlikely to solve the issue, it needs an update/fix from Google which they are apparently working on. Send feedback and the more people that do hopefully the higher priority it becomes

Kadven
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

Do not know if this will help but I have 2 google nest audio speakers that are paired in stereo. I tend to use these for playing the radio or Spotify, plus the odd alarm. As with everyone else I also started getting this problem but have found a temporary fix until it is sorted. If for instance I am playing Spotify and the volume control error crops up, if i state 'OK google play Spotify on this device' after a short delay the volume control comes back.  The key seems to be the words 'on this device' in that it thinks the audio is just being cast from another device and so will (incorrectly) not respond properly. Just might be worth a try until it is properly fixed.

Davidh
Community Member

I have a pair of Citation one mk 2 speakers and have just started getting this issue. Volume can no longer be controlled by voice on the stereo pair either directly or if I go into another room and ask my nest hub to control the volume of the stereo pair. Does anyone from Google ever reply in here? 

jamal01
Community Member

Send feedback. They are working on a fix and sending feedback will hopefully prioritize it 

ronw
Community Member

I am not  familiar with Citation speakers are they running Google software or what. I have two Google Nest speakers paired that were doing what you described. Google responded that they were aware of problem and were working on a solution. Two days later problem was fixed. I am in New Zealand but the fix may get rolled out geographically. Connected with this problem was also that the speakers would not give any information of what was . This had also been fixed

Suzique
Community Member

I'm in Australia and mine is working today...Nest Mini in stereo pair.

I haven't changed anything since yesterday. Let's hope it is fixed!!

Davidh
Community Member

Thanks for the reply. Citation speakers are made by Harman Kardon but have been designed to work with Google Assistant. Hopefully, we in the UK will get an update that resolves it but I will send feedback in.

Suzique
Community Member

Mine seems to work for half the day and then nothing.  Makes no sense. You would think if it was a software bug it would be all or nothing.  It worked for about 8 hours this morning...and now nothing again.  

Same here, but it was for only a few commands today where the volume control worked. Then it stopped.