cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Nest Mini gen 2 keeps saying "Sorry, I can't change the volume from this device"

Suzique
Community Member

Everything has been working fine for ages, now I'm asking Google to change the volume and it says...
"sorry, I can't change the volume on this device". 
 I've gone through my Google Home settings and I can adjust the volume within that.  I can also adjust the volume when I tap on the speaker....but it won't obey commands.
It is set up in Stereo with another Nest Mini....and that works fine.
If I ask other things, eg time, weather...it's fine.  If I ask it to turn on/off the light...it's fine.

1 Recommended Answer

JillG
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

I know that most of you will have already seen our Community's Blog post about the speaker volume here Upcoming Speaker Group changes - Google Nest Community 

I will check to see if we can get this link put near the top or pinned so everybody is informed.  

Updated: directed to select as solution and that is the only way to keep it at the top.

View Recommended Answer in original post

318 REPLIES 318

Suzique
Community Member

I did a reboot, nothing.  So I just did a complete factory reset and reinstalled both devices as a stereo pair and it's now working again.   Happy days 😊

Suzique
Community Member

Another day and with all the feedback, I just rechecked my speaker pair and they are still behaving and listening to me.  Yesterday I did a reboot via Google Home app  and after that I did the complete factory reset.  I didn't reinstall them for a couple of hours after the factory reset, as I had a friend over.  Maybe that helped ??  It's worked for me though...so far.....

Suzique
Community Member

I just checked mine again today....was working fine this morning, and this afternoon we are back to
"I'm sorry, I can't change the volume on this device"....sigh.....

Robi
Community Member

Factory reset of what? The Home app or all the speakers in your group. I tried both but still can't control the volume by voice. 

Suzique
Community Member

I did a factory reset of the speakers, which means you then reinstall them.  It hasn't helped though.  This morning they were randomly working for about 8 hours....and now back to apologising and not working again

Sinzu
Community Member

Thanks for taking one for the team. 

NestPenguin
Community Member

Mine has started saying the same thing when adjusting the volume of speaker groups 🤔

dniz
Community Member

Yep, same here, problem just started now. I tried rebooting, unplugging, factory resetting, deleting the speaker group, deleting all speaker group devices etc etc, nothing helps. 

The only way i'm able to change volume of the speaker group using a voice command is if i start the music on the nest mini and then "hey google transfer media to [speaker group]". 

---

As someone pointed out in a Reddit thread on this, using the above workaround actually just gets rid of the error message, but changes only the volume of the device you are speaking to. Well, at least you can change the volume of that speaker normally when listening on a speaker group :). 

Skin
Community Member

Your work-around of "hey google transfer media to [speaker group]" appears to be the easiest solution.  Worked perfectly for me.  Thank you!

dniz
Community Member

Problem still unchanged here (Finland). Almost a week now. Just sent feedback to google by pressing 👎 when i got the error on my Pixel 3. 

mrstepanek
Community Member

I have the same problem. Started today. Two Nests Audio joined in a group - can´t change the volume using voice command. All I get is "Sorry, I can't change the volume on this device". But when used seperately, it will do as told. Looks like this is a connection problem inbetween two devices joined together.  Strange... 

I had a similar issue with YT music and grouped and/or paired speaker devices. Several factory resets later and wiping all caches and data, the firmware auto-updated on the speakers (where the left / right had diff versions before) and they started working. If google wants to sell it's home products, they need to fix the software. Are you listening Google?

SamInPgh
Community Member

No. They aren't.

Halo69
Community Member

Same problem here. Tried rebooting, resetting, changing Wi-Fi and reinstalling app. Nothing. Started today. Very, very annoying 

Gary101
Community Member

Same issue here. I wish I had never bought Google Home junk. My c by ge smart lights only work 70% of the time because the Google interface is so unreliable. . Alexa here I come.

Bluechop
Community Member

Same, is this since an update?

Halo69
Community Member

Yes, it is. 

alieb
Community Member

I started experiencing the same issue a few hours ago. Fixed it by performing a factory reset.

Suzique
Community Member

What country are you located in?? Interesting post about a lawsuit between Google and Sonos....just wondering if it's country specific, as my speakers are working ok again.

ridahoan
Community Member

Mine aren't in the US of A.

UnhappyUser
Community Member

Same problem. Seems to be limited to speakers configured as a stereo pair and groups containing those pairs. A factory reset and recreating the pair didn't fix it for me.

Factory reset didn't help me either (Second generation Google Nest Audio). I really hope this issue gets solved soon. There's not much use for smart speakers if you can't use voice volume control. 

Speaker pair + single speaker in a group (3 total). Same issue. 

I should mention that my speaker group also has paired speakers in them, and others have pointed out that this may be the problem

Yes, that's my problem as well. The speakers work individually. Yes, not as speaker groups. All I get is: "I'm sorry, I can't change the volume on this device."

Not just stereo paired. Won’t work for me  w groups or single minis. 

Artago
Community Member

Oh look, it's a new day and a new issue with Google Home. Time to factory reset everything, spend hours reconfiguring it all, only to have the issue persist or return quickly. Google, please fix your **bleep**! I'm a software engineer, I'll do it for you for FREE if you give me access to the source code I need to debug this!

Tenorindo
Community Member

Same problem with Citation One starting today, already did factory reset and still not working properly. So annoying!

Morghanashley
Community Member

Got a new nest audio and set it up today. Everything’s worked fine until I added the nest audio to my home speaker group. The nest audio will listen to my commands on its own but can’t change the volume while playing music in a speaker group.

Same here. I can change volume using the home app on any of my devices. That will solve problem for now no doubt a fix will  happen soon

Exactly. Will be returning for Sonos if they don’t fix this soon! Too bad 

Jaspervanwijk
Community Member

Same here, two nest mini’s and a built-in chromecast speaker in one group. Google doesn’t allow the change of volume of the group. Worked just fine up until yesterday morning.

Battybill
Community Member

Same here… started today - complete factory reset did nothing. All 10 of my devices affected. 

FFrrEEddRRiiKK
Community Member

Same here, very annoying, but good to know I´m not the only one.

Yeah…. I just got it to recognise that my partner and are are in fact two different people, and got my routines working again - now this…. FFS

Bjm
Community Member

Throwing them all in the bin. Woeful glitches all the time. 

evnsio
Community Member

Same issue for me too.

Halo69
Community Member

Had hoped they would fix it today... 

popgoesvoice
Community Member

Just started doing it to me this morning. Worked okay initially but when I asked it to change the volume it went quiet, thought about it for a good minute with the lights going, then changed the volume. Worked again shortly after but now just tells me it cant change the volume on the device...again a speaker pair and also in a group