cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Nest Mini gen 2 keeps saying "Sorry, I can't change the volume from this device"

Suzique
Community Member

Everything has been working fine for ages, now I'm asking Google to change the volume and it says...
"sorry, I can't change the volume on this device". 
 I've gone through my Google Home settings and I can adjust the volume within that.  I can also adjust the volume when I tap on the speaker....but it won't obey commands.
It is set up in Stereo with another Nest Mini....and that works fine.
If I ask other things, eg time, weather...it's fine.  If I ask it to turn on/off the light...it's fine.

1 Recommended Answer

JillG
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

I know that most of you will have already seen our Community's Blog post about the speaker volume here Upcoming Speaker Group changes - Google Nest Community 

I will check to see if we can get this link put near the top or pinned so everybody is informed.  

Updated: directed to select as solution and that is the only way to keep it at the top.

View Recommended Answer in original post

318 REPLIES 318

LJD
Community Member

I’m not sure, tbh. I have an ancient Home, 3 different year minis, and a recent audio . Honestly seems to change from day to day. 

JillG
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Thank you for taking the time to post those links. 👍

SamInPgh
Community Member

You're welcome. I just wish that Google would communicate honestly to its customers exactly what the situation is instead of leaving us all hanging in the wind, forced to speculate on the situation. Monopolies are not good.

Agree, Google needs to step up and provide transparency. At this stage, with no resolution and poor communication I've almost given up and left a negative review online.

JillG. Can you pin this to the top of this issue so everyone knows what's going on. https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Blog/Upcoming-Speaker-Group-changes/ba-p/77811

JillG
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Not a solution but I selected the best option to get this to the top of the thread. I will see if there is a better way to have the post or the blog post pinned or directed to so everybody can read it. 

Thanks for all your help getting the info to me and was really hoping for a better outcome. 

Somyavana
Community Member

Hi @JillG can you maybe help to clarify… in the community post it says you can only control speaker volumes individually… but I believe this still means you have to do it manually on the speaker or manually in the app, is this correct? Is there no command that will work to adjust an individual speaker with voice if a speaker group is playing? I just tested having my downstairs group play music, and then I asked it to turn up the volume on the kitchen speaker, and I got the same error response. Thanks 

JillG
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

I am going to ask that to our Community Manager. I don't want to give misinformation.  Hang tight and I'll post back when I hear back.

JillG
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

@Somyavana Sorry but I never heard back about your question and request to clarify. 

I was also wondering this - and have tried multiple voice commands to change a single speaker, did you ever get anyone else to answer your question?

This is my problem too. I turned off my second speaker so it only broadcasts from the main GoogleHome speaker, and it still can't adjust the volume by voice. If I have to get up to change the volume, I may as well go back to our old stereo. It broadcasts through 4 speakers without a problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hahahahaha 🤣 gaii

LJD
Community Member

Frog. They sank the ship. Not what i bought into.

Thanks for the link!

UnhappyUser
Community Member

Finally a reply from Google about this issue on their blog!! https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Blog/Upcoming-Speaker-Group-changes/ba-p/77811

Artago
Community Member

Google got sued by Sonos and had to disable this and other features. 

More info here: https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Blog/Upcoming-Speaker-Group-changes/bc-p/77851#M623

Anyone know a good lawyer for a class action suit?

Artago
Community Member

Google got sued by Sonos so they disabled it intentionally. This is not a bug, it's a feature (or lack of one)

Whatever1
Community Member

All my speakers are by Google. Does the second point mean mine will work for controlling volume via voice command? 

Most Speaker Groups should continue functioning as expected unless you have a speaker group containing other brands of Cast-based devices, like JBL or Lenovo, they need to be on 1.52.272222 or higher Cast firmware version. Check out this article on how to find your device’s firmware version or contact your device maker. 

Is the lawsuit restrictions only if you have Sonos in your speaker group? 

No. It's all speaker groups. 

To adjust volume on your speaker groups, you will need to adjust each speaker individually instead of using the group volume controller. You’ll also no longer be able to change your Speaker Group volume using your phone’s physical volume button.

This is regardless if your group is all google speakers or not. The second point is saying if you have a jbl or Lenovo cast device you will have other issues in addition to this. 

The lawsuit affects all google home based speakers and thus the message is for all Google speaker groups. 

Whatever1
Community Member

Well that's a f ucking piss take then isn't it.

nickp001
Community Member

The thing that pisses me off is that Google knew all along why this started happening and they still directed users to waste their time troubleshooting and factory resetting their devices.  WTF???

Whatever1
Community Member

Exactly. Every time there's been a problem with my speakers it's factory reset factory reset factory reset. Google can stick factory reset up thier conglomerate f ucking arses.

Whatever1
Community Member

Even their **bleep**ty voice recognition can't even spell thier!!

Whatever1
Community Member

Don't bleep me Google you c unts!

Suzique
Community Member

The irony....I started this post and Google keeps patting me on the back  and sending me "congratulations" emails,  with my little Badge achievements for giving and receiving "kudos"! 
Not really helping....I'd rather just have it fixed.

Whatever1
Community Member

Won't get fixed now. Have you tried a factory reset?!  Jk

Even a routine individually setting speaker volumes to a specific percentage doesn't work anymore. My routine "activate low" is set to change all volumes to 20% for 5 speakers individually. It doesn't work and it only sets the volume of one of the speakers to 30%. This is after I removed all the speakers from the group and there isn't any music playing.

FixSpkrPairVol
Community Member

@GoogleNestTeam much of this ill will and frustration could have been avoided if Google had responded promptly and with transparency.

How many thousands of hours have users across the globe wasted with entirely useless Factory Resets and other troubleshooting, thanks to lack of transparency?

How many thousands of Google Support rep hours have been wasted? 

How many thousands of shareholders are or will be angered with wasted revenue on unnecessary support and potential class action suit(s)?

Very disappointing, Google...

Whatever1
Community Member

Stock down. What a shame. 

Screenshot_2022-01-07-03-11-46-67_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Timelydf
Community Member

What a complete joke. We all have dumb speakers. Google support is pathetic for not disclosing prior to the big Christmas sale period. Stick your kudos firmly Google.

Yeah they kept that quiet didn't they. Scheming b astards.

JillG
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

I know that most of you will have already seen our Community's Blog post about the speaker volume here Upcoming Speaker Group changes - Google Nest Community 

I will check to see if we can get this link put near the top or pinned so everybody is informed.  

Updated: directed to select as solution and that is the only way to keep it at the top.

Timelydf
Community Member

Is it possible to get a full refund given that the speakers no longer function as advertised?

JillG
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

No clue.  (volunteer Nest user here)

Hey Google,  I believe the exact statement I receive is "I'm sorry but I can't take your phone off silent from this device," and it turns it up to 10, blasting her statements.  I saw in my Google Assistant feed that a statement is injected into the feel "Turn volume up to 100%."  Sounds like a programming issue.

Hey Google, the BIG PROBLEM is that you are totally nullifying your SLEEP app, for which you are so proud.  It's supposed to be able to wake you up gradually, etc.  Instead, upon awakening you say, Good Morning Google and get an absolutely BLASTING next to your head, "GOOD MORNING SUE.  I'M SORRY BUT I CAN'T TAKE YOUR PHONE OFF SILENT FROM THIS DEVICE..... then reads me my schedule and puts my news on, ALL AT BLASTING LOUD VOLUME FOR WHICH I HAVE TO DRAG MYSELF AROUND TO CHANGE THE VOLUME.  This kills the intent of your SLEEP app.  It's not a massive inconvenience to have to adjust the volume all the time - it's just a malfunctioning device.  No, it's not fixed.  

Nestguy
Community Member

But the Google changes are for speaker groups, not speaker pairs... So how is that right? 

jw1
Community Member

I have two Nest Minis that work individually but will not play at the same time in a speaker group. They were working together up until last week. I have restarted everything including disconnecting both devices, making new speaker groups, restarting internet and my phone.

fedwinri
Community Member

That does not suggest a solution for why voice (and routine) commands to change one volume on one speaker, EVEN when nothing is playing currently, does not comport with that ruling as you linked it.

Looks like a bug to me.  Establishing a speaker as part of a group does not mean it equates to the group.  Notwithstanding ambiguity of interpretation voice commands may receive, routines mark the parameter for which speaker (or group), and Nothing elicits the "Sorry..." error but a bug on the patch to respect the ruling in law.

Whatever1
Community Member

Yeah thanks for rubbing it in. 

Whatever1
Community Member

https://www.zdnet.com/article/sonos-wins-patent-dispute-with-google-says-its-time-for-google-to-pay-...

"There is a possibility that Google will be able to degrade or eliminate product features in a way that circumvents the importation ban that the ITC has imposed," Sonos Chief Legal Officer Eddie Lazarus said in a statement. "But while Google may sacrifice consumer experience in an attempt to circumvent this importation ban, its products will still infringe many dozens of Sonos patents, its wrongdoing will persist, and the damages owed Sonos will continue to accrue. Alternatively, Google can —as other companies have already done —pay a fair royalty for the technologies it has misappropriated."

This to me says Google can either pay for a right to use the patents or not pay and continue to revoke basic functionally.

If Google doesn't pay these royalties, can we get refunds on our devices?  

Anybody want to purchase my Google Home devices?  I have 3 Nest Audio, 1 Google Home Max, 1 Google Hub, 1 Nest Hub, 3 Nest Mini's and 1 of the original Google Home Speakers.  I've invested quite a bit of time and money into Nest products.  I'm also selling my Nest WiFi setup, which also has a known issue that Google has been "looking into" for the past several weeks.  4 Nest routers and 2 Nest Access Points with Google Home.