cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Nest for my elderly father-in-law

Peteinterpol
Community Member

Seeking some advice on setting up a google nest for my 98-year-old father-in-law. He has recently moved into a care home, and was given a google nest so he can ask for specific songs. (He has good mental capacity but never got on board with smart phones). As it stands, it tells him he can't do that without a YouTube Music premium membership, and just plays something else. He is happy to pay for premium for YouTube or Spotify , but as he has no smartphone or google account, can I set him up using mine? If so, how will his nest "know" the subscription is purchased, so that it works for him when I am not around?

2 REPLIES 2

Cathal_S
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hi Peteinterpol,

Google speakers and displays will try to use 'Voice Match ' to use different accounts when a device is shared in a family. If it doesn't recognize a voice then it will use the default account that set up the device.

You will either need to create a Google account and set up the subscription for that same account, then add or re-set up the device with that account or add a music subscription to the account that initially set up the device.

If you are sharing your own subscription service then only one device will be allowed to play music at a time and playlists, suggestions etc will be merged.

Have a look at the link below for more information about using music services and let us know if you have any further questions.

Music:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/7030379 

Regards,
Cathal

AWF
Community Member

Don't do it!   Google nest devices are horribly unreliable and will simply cause frustration.    I recommend going with the Amazon Alexa - I have both and have never had an issue with the Alexa; but constant problems with the google devices.