Hello Kristin Estes,

Thanks for reaching out. I am sorry to hear that your Spotify is not working. I love using my Spotify, so I understand your concern. I would be more than happy to help find a solution to allow you to listen to your music again. First, I have some questions to get a better understanding of this situation.
  • Is this a new issue? Was your Spotify working before?
  • When you say you "go to the app and press play music", which app are you talking about? 
  • What happens if you voice command "Play music on Spotify"? Does it still not work?
  • Can you try to delete and relink your Spotify Account?
Also at this time, this is an emerging issue of Spotify having issues with Google Nest and Home devices. Our team is aware of this situation and are working on getting this issue resolved.

In the meantime, I recommend you casting your music from Spotify.
To cast from a mobile device, you will go to the bottom right of your screen of your Spotify App. You will see a desktop screen and speaker icon next to each other. Once you click on it, it will show which device you are listening to Spotify on. Below that will be a list of devices you can select to transfer your music to. Your speaker should be on the list. This is what I usually do when I use Spotify and haven't had any issues.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused by this Spotify issue. Please feel free to reach out with any other questions or concerns. Thanks!