cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Set a timer on Google Nest Hub for a Smart Plug

AdrianJ
Community Member

How can I turn on a Smart Plug from Google home, for a period of 30 minutes. When I say Hey Google Turn on Smart plug for 30 minutes I get the response Sorry for potential risk to safety i can not schedule actions for devices configured as outlets.  How can I solve this issue please?

1 Recommended Answer

Kadven
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

Hi @AdrianJ 

I tend to use the Google Home app that I've added to my android smartphone and/or IPAD mini to add various routines or amend them on the system when they are connected to the wifi network.

If you have such a device that you've added the Google Home app to, you may find it easier to amend the routines using this. There is a Google help page explaining how to do this at:-

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/7029585?hl=en-GB&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid

One note I would add that I forgot to mention was that if you do create a routine to assist in this task, make sure that it is a 'Personal' routine and not a 'Household' . This is because for some reason lost to me that including a time delay within a routine is only possible of Personal routines and not Household ones.

If you can master the use of routines (listed as 'Automations' in the app), you can find that they are quite useful.

Good luck.

View Recommended Answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Kadven
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

Hi @AdrianJ 

You may be able to do this by creating a routine on the Google Home app.

Create a routine and give it a starter of a command word of your choosing.

Then add an action of the 'Adjust Home devices' type and select the relevant smart plug and give it an action of turn on.

Then select 'Delay start' type from the Time adjustments section and give it a 30 minute delay.

Then add another action from the 'Adjust Home devices' and select the plug again and turn it off.

I tested this on my own network with a TP smart plug and it worked. Don't have a Google Nest Hub so no guarantee that that is not imposing a restriction, but worth a try.

AdrianJ
Community Member

Hello Kadven. Thank you for the above help. This is very new to me, my app seems to have different wording to yours above. I will try again, thank you.

Kadven
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

Hi @AdrianJ 

I tend to use the Google Home app that I've added to my android smartphone and/or IPAD mini to add various routines or amend them on the system when they are connected to the wifi network.

If you have such a device that you've added the Google Home app to, you may find it easier to amend the routines using this. There is a Google help page explaining how to do this at:-

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/7029585?hl=en-GB&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid

One note I would add that I forgot to mention was that if you do create a routine to assist in this task, make sure that it is a 'Personal' routine and not a 'Household' . This is because for some reason lost to me that including a time delay within a routine is only possible of Personal routines and not Household ones.

If you can master the use of routines (listed as 'Automations' in the app), you can find that they are quite useful.

Good luck.

AdrianJ
Community Member

Thank you. I created a routine that works fine for me.

Kadven
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

Hi @AdrianJ .

That's excellent, glad you've mastered the use of the routines.

Always find it quite interesting that many people do not know about how useful routines (automations) can be or even know that they even exist.