cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

White Noise ambient sound has changed, is there a way to change it back?

BG2989
Community Member

Been using the white noise ambient sound to help sleep and noticed last night the sound had been changed. Sounds like a new file and it's not only quieter the audio loop is a lot shorter, with a sudden drop off after about 30 minutes before it loops again (the previous one was about an hour long and started again much faster). Is there a way to restore to the older sound file?

1 Recommended Answer

KiiFromGoogle
Community Manager (Admin)
Community Manager (Admin)

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for your feedback here! There was an issue impacting our white noise experience. It’s fixed now and working as it previously did. 

Hopefully that answers your questions, but let me know if you need any more help. Thanks! 

View Recommended Answer in original post

206 REPLIES 206

Ziddleoo
Community Member

I noticed it tonight and HATE IT.  Had to use Spotify white notes through our google. Change it back. This is enraging 

CharlieJ
Community Member

Same here, we started to use white noise when we had our daughter and its become a staple for the whole family now.  It's so very much quieter i dont know what to do.  It used to drown out any noise, now it has to be over 90% volume and it still sounds horrible anyways.  Why would they change it? do they not get statistics of how many people use their speakers for white noise?  They had to know this would go down poorly

Miketrevor22
Community Member

So very quiet. I have it turned up to 100% and can hear nosies two rooms away. Someone at Google needs to change this back ASAP

B4DS3CUR1TY
Community Member

Glad that I found this. The white noise option sucks now. I really need Google/ nest to fix this.

GnoG
Community Member

Bring back the old noise! Bring back the old noise! Bring back the old noise! Bring back the old noise!

iOnlyComplain
Community Member

Just incase anyone missed it, @ldrrp made a 12 hour version of the original! Read his post and download the file.  https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Speakers-and-Displays/White-Noise-ambient-sound-has-changed-i...

Trptsam
Community Member

Same! This new white noise is horrendous!!! I have the speaker at 90% which is distorting the sound even further! My baby needs the old sound back!!!! 

cadvnce
Community Member

So i have anxiety issues and i easily feel overstimulated by loud sounds, so i use the white noise CONSTANTLY on my google home. when i noticed it i thought someone spilled water on my google home mini, it sounds so strange. 

Tedison18
Community Member

Same here! We can’t handle the change, it’s too deep and low for it to be “white noise”. We had to go back to our old white noise generator. I wish they would give us an option to change it back, or even add both and just rename the new one to something else.

shinda
Community Member

Thought we were going crazy until someone on twitter showed me this thread. No way you guys just up'd and changed the white noise on us like this.

If nothing else at least keep the old one around with a command to access it. 

This new one is way too soft and missing some frequencies that it barely helps block out anything happening around us. 

- Signed a father of 2 infants.

sixspeedsteve
Community Member

Same issue for us. White noise is now playing pink noise (muffled, more bass, quieter). Everyone please submit feedback to google on this issue. Using your assistant say “hey google” then “send feedback.”

Michellebarbour
Community Member

For anyone looking for something similar until the issue is resolved. I've found this on Spotify.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4l9HYeeU36MGfyjLuIJr80?si=btI7hnKyS1uyPHGN2P3Vtg&utm_source=copy-li...

Dany
Community Member

This Spotify song is very similar and is 12 hrs long:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4l9HYeeU36MGfyjLuIJr80?si=zRgqVEXCTDSMB3-kwwsEHw&context=spotify%3A...

forget the kids. I was having sleep regression 😂

HeyOK
Community Member

I recommend posting feedback from the Google Home app itself.

Mirandab
Community Member

Now I have downloaded the two files, but can’t manage to play them 😢

Miketrevor22
Community Member

Download a third party music app. From there should let you cast to your device. May need to download the file to your physical device vs it maybe saving to your Drive. All else fails, try ok Google play river noises. It's similar and much louder

CZChick
Community Member

Same problem and we use it for our 4 month old to sleep better as he is still in our room! Google please fix this, it doesn’t get loud enough to block noises 

RedLady
Community Member

Adding to the choir that it’s muffled. Previously we used the white noise for night time it at 60% in all 3 of our kids rooms. Now? 100% volume and it’s still not loud? I hope they change it back!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I noticed this last night with the "rain sounds" my wife and I use to fall asleep. When you're sitting in bed trying to fall asleep, it's too easy to notice the loop is now around 10 or 15 minutes! This doesn't help with the falling asleep thing it's supposed to be aiding. @User123456 please bring back the 1 hour loop!

O__VER
Community Member

Yes, "rain sounds" has been ruined too. My daughter uses it to go to sleep. Now it sounds like someone is accidentally playing with the volume from another room, and the overall recording seems to have less detail. The old one-hour loop was better even if the fade in and fade out was pretty horrendous.

grugly
Community Member

I thought we had an issue with the speakers as the sound is terrible. 

We also use the nest speakers in our kids rooms to assist with sleep and can't believe this was changed to something worse and quieter! 

Have submitted feedback but will have toove to river sounds until this is fixed

Aulterra
Community Member

Yes it's changed and my 2 year old now won't **bleep**ing sleep...

Dudl
Community Member

Add me to list of frustrated parents.

Thought my mini was on its way out, but all my other devices are too.

Please restore original white noise

Lwalker
Community Member

Here in UK. We thought our speaker had an issue! Moved two speakers into the same room to try and amp it up but, still quiet, poor quality and strange dips. Keeping me, my wife and our twins up at night now. 

This is not a welcome feature change, google! 

vivibien
Community Member

please change it back to the old one google!! i have awful insomnia and i needed the old white noise to sleep properly. the new one is so quiet & awful… 

nikthetitan
Community Member

Is Google even listening to people taking notice of this? I'm so glad everyone noticed it, i thought if my hearing abilities had deteriorated 😑

Jmodiz
Community Member

Same.  Please please change it back

ryans1
Community Member

If google is seeing this please change it back I already have enough trouble sleeping as it is 

Lawraaaaan
Community Member

My speakers don't even loop anymore! So so frustrating when I'm trying to sleep. They just stop playing after the first ten minute 'loop', it's awful!!!!

Bluecross87
Community Member

Hate how there is no reply from Google at all...where is your customer service? So frustrating...I tried to cast a 12 hour sleep sounds podcast episode last night from SPOTIFY and the nest kept cutting out. My poor 7 month is exhaused...PLEASE FIX THIS GOOGLE

Im having this issue too, the brown noise one is meant to be 12 hours but the speaker keeps stopping it around 50mins so I have had one Very restless night constantly having to wake up to start it up again to try and keep my 11 month old asleep

Aulterra
Community Member

I also wanted to put in a complaint over the phone after being on hold for 1 hour 30 minutes within minutes of explaining the issue of the change in white noise, the phone assistant hung up on me...

Nyg
Community Member

Terrible move Google. Bring back the original please!

DD3
Community Member

The volume on this file is so low that we’ve had to turn the mini up quite a bit to even hear the white noise.  We’ve been using the white noise in our room for well over a year and we now use it in our daughter’s room every night. 

please change it back! 

Ted
Community Member

I noticed this last night. We use white noise to help out toddler sleep. He was up all night.

Between this and the volume control issue, Google has absolutely f'ed over their users. Why would they even bother changing this? Did Sonos patent the concept of white noise too?

Ack443
Community Member

The volume control is such a disaster. I'm not sure what the point of having my googles is anymore. Becoming completely useless. 

Fransdw
Community Member

I, too, noticed this. Please fix it Google. 

Tczx3
Community Member

Feedback left on the Google Home app as well. 

Mvriv
Community Member

I thought I was going crazy ! Even if i set the volume to 100% it's still so quiet and the muffle is horrible!! My toddler has been having a hard time falling asleep too. I hope they fix this soon .

__McB__
Community Member

Add me to the list of very unhappy customers.