cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

White Noise ambient sound has changed, is there a way to change it back?

BG2989
Community Member

Been using the white noise ambient sound to help sleep and noticed last night the sound had been changed. Sounds like a new file and it's not only quieter the audio loop is a lot shorter, with a sudden drop off after about 30 minutes before it loops again (the previous one was about an hour long and started again much faster). Is there a way to restore to the older sound file?

1 Recommended Answer

KiiFromGoogle
Community Manager (Admin)
Community Manager (Admin)

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for your feedback here! There was an issue impacting our white noise experience. It’s fixed now and working as it previously did. 

Hopefully that answers your questions, but let me know if you need any more help. Thanks! 

View Recommended Answer in original post

206 REPLIES 206

Fenbru08
Community Member

I thought I had a sweater on my speaker! Even at full volume it was not enough to cover up the noises by my dogs. I woke up constantly last night any time our dog walked on tile, scratched, breathed weird. I ended up casting a sound from Spotify instead. I wish they would bring back the old file.

NightFelix
Community Member

I want my old White Noise back!!! The Google engineer and the person in charge decided to make a change of the white noise definitely is not using the white noise feature!!!! How could you roll out this update before beta testing for certain group of people like parents???!!!!!

Somnbulance
Community Member

The new version is horrible, we  use the white noise to help our toddler and our infant to sleep at night.   The new version is sounds like garbage. It's muffled and dull sounding is too quiet and it loops to frequently.  Please bring back the old version. 

CapnElectric
Community Member

Not casual users, we have a total of 15 speakers in our home. We live downtown in a busy city, so our whole family uses the White Noise feature every night. Mom, Dad, 2 Teenagers, 6 year old and 3 year old.

Dear Google PLEASE put the old white noise back 😞  

And while you are at it, make it better by NOT fading out the loop after an hour AT ALL, and don't limit playback time. As others have said, it wakes everyone up when it stops (and often even when it fades)

Google, I thought the new Google Nest Home eco-system would be about choice and adding control over our Nest Home features OURSELVES.

Who is making these decisions on our behalf? And why?

Not suggesting any conspiracy here, just questioning the reasoning for such arbitrary and daft decisions!

Adamw
Community Member

I'm also not pleased with he change. Tried restarting my Google home a few times to no avail. Glad there were so many people complaining about this change this morning that I knew it wasn't an error on my end. Google please restore this and as others mentioned improve on it. Extend the time beyond 13 hours, seeemless loop. I use this nightly and during naptime  with a baby and toddler. 

In the meantime, I made a playlist on YouTube Music, with 18 hours of "baby sleep white noise" that closely approximates the old noise and setup a Google Assistant routine to play this (and set the volume at 70%). Here's the playlist  https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLffvN2eczCL2HnCw-Y0DwxW9vPmfCi_UO&feature=share 

priyabaldua
Community Member

Please change it back to the old noise. It was amazing. Don’t know why Google changed it to this new sound. This is just a weird slow sound which does not help. Please change it back!

sixspeedsteve
Community Member

Everyone please submit feedback direct to google (not here). “Hey google, send feedback” or open your google home app, click on your account pic in the upper right, feedback. 

Adweril
Community Member

Noticed it as well today.

Why such a change?

Google Home ecosystem just getting worst and worst 

Starting to regret my bet on Google on this.

Bring back the old feature and focus on cleaning up the mess following the Sonos lawsuit.

Mrjtravels
Community Member

Yes, this is very frustrating.  We have been using that for years now and do not like the change at all.

ldrrp
Community Member

Updated the google drive link with a few more files. just some original and no fade versions and a 13hr file. At least until google brings it back.

ericle7
Community Member

I thought it was just me.  The new sound is terrible!  I rely on white noise to get some good sleep, and now it doesn't work for me.

Why does Google always want to take something that's good and break it?  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Walthamburger
Community Member

This is awful. Why would they change this? Looping every 10 minutes line a torture device and now I have mine set to max volume.

Scotty1
Community Member

It’s too quiet! Please change it back!!

queenbee
Community Member

My family noticed immediately, as we were trying to put our toddler down for bed. We all felt as if we were in an underwater tunnel and our ears were clogged. Terrible change! We had to jack the volume way up for it to cancel any noise. Why the change?! How can we get the old track back? If you wanted to modify the old track, you could have lengthened it and had less fade in and out.

Google, please make changes that are improvements. Don’t change things for the sake of change! I want to hear all the reasons this change is an improvement!

dnourie13
Community Member

Hey Google, play the old white noise, but play it without the fade in out each time it loops!

WeNeedSleep
Community Member

Is anyone else having the issue with the new sound that not only fades but completely stops after about 30 minutes?  Which means I’m having to sneak into the babies room and try and talk to the speaker to get it to play again which is not ideal 

Instead of sneaking into your kids room, create a routine in Google Home that triggers Sleep Sounds.  Once the routine exists, you can trigger it remotely using Google Home app..

Screenshot_20220117-174417_Home.jpg

Tczx3
Community Member

I finally did that several months ago. The only thing is it makes a sort of beep sound when you trigger the routine

BigTwinAces
Community Member

Why did this sound file change? Same as Sonos?? Pls change back

smorac14
Community Member

Please Google, return the volume of white noise the way it was. The new one is quieter and doesn't mask the traffic noises as the previous version. Now we use it at 100% volume and is not louder enough. The transition is better and shorter and today sounds normal, but the volume is too quite.

BandObsessed93
Community Member

I hate it so much. I'm autistic and I use it to block out noise, but it barely does its job now. I can hear all the footsteps outside my room and it's getting really irritating. I'm pretty sure this is why I've been so stressed the past few days. 

Streichholz
Community Member

I hate the new sound. It's one of the only reasons I have a Nest in my bedroom. Not worth having anymore considering a 10 minute loop and muffled white noise doesn't help with a good night's sleep. Google - put it back to the original sound or let us choose! Also, so better to notify your customers who pay for these devices!

Because Google changed the white noise file and won't change it back to the old one, I threw out my Google home.  I bought a $30 white noise machine on amazon.  Bye bye Google Home, I'll never buy another one.   Lost this customer for life.   

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please change it back 😭

AnnoyedSleeper
Community Member

+1, change it back. Whoever updated this should be fired.

Hammyswife
Community Member

I came here to ask the same thing as I thought my nest was broken! Please change it back Google!! 

Atterbury
Community Member

Change it back. Not happy at all. My toddler will not nap! It’s too quiet!! 

Community Member

Thought my speaker was broken until I saw an article about this. Needs changing back ASAP it's been ruined with the new change

Eric3
Community Member

My toddler uses this to sleep, and has been very upset about the change, and has asked for the "old white noise" every night now. If this isn't fixed soon, we will stop using this and get a dedicated white noise box.

Artartart
Community Member

Someone suggest "River Sound" and it is an ok substitute.  at least the levels aren't so off with the new muffled white noise.

Eric3
Community Member

I tried this, and it is very close! Thanks for the suggestion!

DMahpour
Community Member

Yes I just tried this and it seems to be a close second to the original white noise! 

Thanks! “River sounds” is a close substitute!

DMahpour
Community Member

Google!! What have you done!? 
I live in an old apt building where the floors and ceilings are very thin and I MUST HAVE THE OLD WHITE NOISE BACK OR IM GONNA LOSE MY MIND. 

T3chArmy
Community Member

Another family annoyed with the change, now have to have the volume at 70% instead of 40%, also adjusted the bass and treble settings, that actually helped a lot, but now it feels like Google assistant is yelling at me because of the higher volume level.

timlightle
Community Member

This update broke the feature entirely for me. My Google home devices only play sleep sounds for about 30 minutes before stopping now. Google, please fix so I can have sleep sounds all night! Smh

User888
Community Member

Experiencing the same thing. This is a perfect example of fixing something that isn't broken. 

The new sound file is far too quiet and too muffled. Who at Google thought this was a good idea?

White noise is essentially now useless until they change it back, or even better, change it to a sound file that doesn't fade in and out. Ud think the boffins at Google would understand why people use white noise and realise a steady, unchanging noise is what's required. 

The mind boggles. 

Bluecross87
Community Member

Sad to say Google has lost our business with their lack of response and ignoring its customers pleas. Opted for a white noise competitor today because we can't go another night without the right volume of sound. Your loss google....