cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

New Home/New Account Owner needed

zen2023
Community Member

Two issues I'm trying to fix:

1. My late partner was owner of our Nest account with me as family member. As he has died,  I want to become the owner since his email account and phone will both be disabled soon. How should I proceed?

2. I recently moved into a new house with existing Nest Learning Thermostats, 3rd gen. How do I get the Nest app to reflect/connect with the new system? Currently, the app is showing my previous house. (bonus:  WWN vs WWGH...so confused about where to start in connecting to my new home's Nest thermostat!)

Thanks in advance.

1 Recommended Answer

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Firstly I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Unfortunately, there is no process to transfer ownership. Unless you have access to his email account/phone number to login to his account, there is no way to make your account a home owner.

For the thermostat in the new home, I would start by creating a new home structure. See the "Create another home in the Nest app" section here:
Manage homes and products with the Nest app - Google Nest Help

Then try these steps:

1. If the thermostat had a previous owner and hasn’t been reset yet, factory reset the thermostat.
  2. On the Nest app home screen, tap the Settings cog.
  3. Tap Add product. The app will switch to a camera view to scan the thermostat’s QR code.
  4. On the thermostat, press it to open the quick view menu and tap the Settings cog.
  5. Turn the ring to select Nest app and press to open it.
  6. Select QR code. Your thermostat will show you a unique QR code to scan with the app. If it doesn't, tap Continue without scanning in the app and select Get entry key on your thermostat instead.
  7. Follow the remaining steps in the Nest app.

View Recommended Answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Firstly I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Unfortunately, there is no process to transfer ownership. Unless you have access to his email account/phone number to login to his account, there is no way to make your account a home owner.

For the thermostat in the new home, I would start by creating a new home structure. See the "Create another home in the Nest app" section here:
Manage homes and products with the Nest app - Google Nest Help

Then try these steps:

1. If the thermostat had a previous owner and hasn’t been reset yet, factory reset the thermostat.
  2. On the Nest app home screen, tap the Settings cog.
  3. Tap Add product. The app will switch to a camera view to scan the thermostat’s QR code.
  4. On the thermostat, press it to open the quick view menu and tap the Settings cog.
  5. Turn the ring to select Nest app and press to open it.
  6. Select QR code. Your thermostat will show you a unique QR code to scan with the app. If it doesn't, tap Continue without scanning in the app and select Get entry key on your thermostat instead.
  7. Follow the remaining steps in the Nest app.

zen2023
Community Member

Thank you for the quick response. I will try these later today!