cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Deleted 1st gen transferred camera

Wes4006
Community Member

I deleted my 1st gen nest camera in the google home app after it was transferred. I did this because the google home app is terrible compared to the nest app and figured I could just delete it and set it up again. When trying to set it up again in the Nest app, it says to set it up in the google home app. You cannot set up a first gen nest cam in the google home app. Google support is useless. They told me to reset the camera. There is no way to reset 1st gen Nest cams. It seems like google now notices the serial number of my camera as being a google home compatible camera because it was “transferred” and the only way for me to set it up again is to transfer it back. How can I transfer is back if it is now gone from the google home app? 

3 Recommended AnswerS

Wes4006
Community Member

I figured it out! You CAN add 1st gen nest cams in the google home app. I had to do it on my wife’s account that has the beta app. If you search for devices it comes up and you can add it. I then transferred it back to the nest app, once again bc the google home app sucks. Peace. 

View Recommended Answer in original post

I figured it out.  In order to add the Gen 1 Nest Cam to your Google Home App, you first have to click on switching over to Public Preview.  Then you have to wait for it to go into effect.  After that transitions over, you can then click on 'add device'...  camera... and then the Gen 1 Nest Cam will now be on the list to select from.

BBN8
Community Member

I figured it out.  In order to add the Gen 1 Nest Cam to your Google Home App, you first have to click on switching over to Public Preview.  Then you have to wait for it to go into effect.  After that transitions over, you can then click on 'add device'...  camera... and then the Gen 1 Nest Cam will now be on the list to select from.

15 REPLIES 15

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@Wes4006 

Yours is now the 4th post I've seen that seems to indicate there might be an unresolved problem if you remove a 1st gen Google Nest camera from the beta "Public Preview" version of the Google Home app AFTER having "transferred" it from the Google Nest app to the beta "Public Preview" version of the Google Home app, and you then try to reinstall it.

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that Google Nest has simply not provided a way to reinstall such a camera.

These are the other posts:

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Cameras-and-Doorbells/Move-camera-to-new-Google-Home/m-p/6020...

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Cameras-and-Doorbells/Set-Up-and-Adding-First-Gen-Cameras-to-...

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Cameras-and-Doorbells/Nest-thinks-Cam-is-Already-on-Home-but-...

I haven't seen a solution yet.

You could try contacting Support, but you would need to talk to a support person who is familiar with the beta "Public Preview" version of the Google Home app, and they may NOT have a solution:

1. Go to https://support.google.com/googlenest/gethelp.
2. Select a category/product family, and type in a brief description of the issue, then click "Next".
3. Click "Other", then click "Next step".
4. Under "Resources", just click "Next step". (Clicking one of the listed links will bring up a Help page page.)
5. Under "Contact options", choose to get a phone call or chat with the team, depending on availability in your country.

Wes4006
Community Member

I figured it out! You CAN add 1st gen nest cams in the google home app. I had to do it on my wife’s account that has the beta app. If you search for devices it comes up and you can add it. I then transferred it back to the nest app, once again bc the google home app sucks. Peace. 

OvalZyre
Community Member

Wanted to give a huge shout out on this one. Was struggling for days to re-add a camera I removed. Chatted with support and couldn't find any more ways to tell them that the Nest app told me to add my Gen 1 outdoor cam through Google Home, but Google Home wasn't recognizing it. Actually still waiting on the supervisor email I was promised. Forgot I had left the public preview. Once I got myself back in, the camera was found with no issues. I was able to add it back in Google Home, then transfer to Nest so I can finally get rid of it and be done with Nest for good. Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction! 

AlSmith
Community Member

I believe I have the same issue, I am trying to help my boss reset his cameras because they stopped working.  I followed the instructions online and removed them from the google home app after he invited me, and a number of months or years back I recall helping him migrate from the nest app to google home.  I am not convinced that removing the cameras does anything to factory re set them because they were incommunicado before I started (so how would they know to be in a setup mode??).  I also power cycled them by pulling the wall plug as well as the USB and left it out long enough to drain any capacitance.  They do a blue blinking light and then the home app goes through the new device setup steps, but always fails to connect and the only way to get it eve to that menu is to type in the 6 letter code.  if you scan the QR, it just bombs out back to the main page of the app w/ no error message to the user.  How can I get the beta app?

@AlSmith 

There is no such thing as migrating from the Nest app to the Google Home app.  You can migrate your Nest Account to a Google Account (we did so in 2020), but our 1st gen cameras and doorbells installed in the Google Nest app remained in the Google Nest app, and we had limited access to them in the Google Home app.

2-1/2 years ago Google Nest started releasing 2nd gen Google Nest cameras and doorbells that could only be accessed in the Google Home app.  Then in 2023, Google Nest made a beta "Public Preview" version of the Google Home app available by request.  After it became available, Google Nest then added the ability to individually "transfer" certain 1st gen Google Nest cameras (NOT doorbells) from the Google Nest app to the beta "Public Preview" version of the Google Home app. These "transferred" cameras are the subject of this thread.

I can't tell which cameras you are dealing with, or why they "stopped working".

It does seem that removing 2nd gen Google Nest cameras from the Google Home app also triggers a factory reset IF the cameras are online and on the same Wi-Fi network they were set up on.

The instructions for "factory resets" are different for different cameras and doorbells, and can be found in this Help topic, which also includes "Restart" instructions:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9252162

Under Settings in the Google Home app, you can request access to the beta "Public Preview" version. But I suspect that will not address your situation, because you haven't transferred any 1st gen Google Nest cameras from the Google Nest app to the beta "Public Preview" version of the Google Home app.

AlSmith
Community Member

Thank you for your quick reply, unfortunately, I didnt order or install the cameras, however they appear to be google nest outdoor wired gen 1 cameras.  Below is a blurred photo of the bottom of the camera.  I cant recall off hand what the front looks like but it is not the more modern iterations.  It also does not have a button, nor does it have a place to push in reset anywhere that I could see, as I believe the front is a mic and screen, the bottom I believe being a speaker.  Inside the home there are wall mounted plugs like this product linked below, and it looks almost 100% the same https://www.amazon.com/Nest-Security-Matters-Anywhere-Outdoor/dp/B01I3I9L8M/?th=1  although I think it might say nest at the bottom and not the G but I didnt photo as it was dusk and didnt seem relevant at the time.  I did remove the camera from the google home app after being invited with full control and that was successful, but following a reboot of the camera, the app just fails on scanning the QR code, nor does it connect if you type in the code.  They did utilize the Nest account (and the app fwiw) previously, and some time ago, perhaps 2020 (honestly I cant recall) but I definitely had helped them migrate the cameras to the google home app which I distinctly recall.  I just requested to join the public preview of the beta app and will re try later this week and post any updates.

Bottom of camera.jpg

@AlSmith 

That is a (1st gen) Google Nest Outdoor Camera. (We have several.) You are right that it does NOT have a reset button. The only way to factory reset this camera is by removing it from the Google Nest app (https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9252162#zippy=%2Cnest-cam-or-dropcam), but that only works if the camera is online and accessible when you remove it.

It is NOT possible to remove the Google Nest Outdoor Camera using the Google Home app (UNLESS you had the beta "Public Preview" version of the Google Home app AND had previously individually transferred the camera from the Google Nest app to that beta version). I just double-checked on our cameras (we are NOT on the beta version); there is no "Remove device" or "Remove camera" in the Google Home app for these 1st gen cameras.

Since there is no factory reset button, if the camera was not online when you removed it from the Google Nest app (I'm guessing that's what really happened), the camera was most likely left in a non-factory reset state. I don't know what happened that caused your boss's cameras to "stop working"; perhaps he updated his Wi-Fi network . At any rate, I've seen two suggestions from Google Nest on what to do in order to reinstall this camera in the Google Nest app if it hasn't been factory reset. The first is to unplug the camera for 48 hours. The second is to wait until the camera's Nest Aware subscription expires, which could be up to 60 days. Results seem to be mixed for either solution, based on posts in this forum. That's not a very satisfactory answer, but it seems Google Nest does not have any better solution for this situation.

When you enter the 6-character alphanumeric setup code and it "fails to connect", what exactly happens?

I suspect that you will NOT be able to install these 1st gen Google Nest Outdoor Cameras in the beta "Public Preview" version of the Google Home app, since that only seems to work for cameras that were previously individually "transferred" to the beta "Public Preview" version of the Google Home app. That's not the case in your situation, since you don't even have the beta version, and in 2020 the only option available was to migrate your boss's Nest Account to a Google Account (https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9297676).

Google Nest  does NOT document what a flashing blue status light means for this camera: https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9268073?hl=en&sjid=4462195787278494546-NC#zippy=%2Cgoog....

This is very informative, I appreciate your answer - even if it doesnt work out, at least I know I tried.

I believe your assessments are correct, so that's a bummer because it sounds like I may not be able to fix it so easily.  I don't have access to the space until tomorrow evening but because I was granted access to the beta app / Public Preview today, I may give it another try after a short power cycle anyways because it will just take a moment.  If that fails, which I assume it will based on your response, I will try the 48 hour power off (which makes sense, at some point the batteries and capacitors will discharge).  Its really not the end of the world if they're toast (as there are only 3 of that model at the property) but I would hate to think my actions bricked them so easily.  I guess we will see.  I don't think they have nest aware (they did have some subscription tier for storage but I think that's long since expired).  Additionally, these particular cameras were out for more than 60 days in the app, despite being previously viewable in the google home app.  So that makes me think the possible nest aware aspect is irrelevant in this case.  They were listed as unavailable in the home app, but I nonetheless was able to remove them.  But as noted, that will have no effect if they were not connected.  To answer your question about the what happens when it fails to connect, I basically get three different screens on the google home app in the devices tab which just look like the following images, taken from ios (non public preview) app and again scanning the QR code during setup just bombs out to the default google home app favorites screen straight away without delay.  By the way, your responses are so well formed they feel like an LLM!  

AlSmith_0-1709871501983.jpegsomething went wrong message.jpg

@AlSmith 

If all three of your cameras are what was shown in the photograph you posted, then they are Google Nest Outdoor Cameras and do NOT have a battery and can only be REMOVED in the Google Nest app, though, when they are working, they can be viewed in the Google Home app. (We have three of them.). (We also have one 2nd gen battery camera that works only in the Google Home app.)

Have you tried installing your cameras in the Google Nest app?

The "Connecting to joining device" error is an error that customers have been reporting in this forum for a couple of years. If you already have Google Nest devices installed, then Google Nest tries to get the Wi-Fi credentials from one of those devices, rather than just letting you enter the network name (SSID) and password. The problem is that something goes wrong in that process and the install process for some reason cannot make contact with that other Google Nest device, and Google Nest either cannot or will not fix the problem. Some customers have tried temporarily turning off all of their other Google Nest devices during the install process, in the hope that this will prevent the error from occurring. Other customers have tried creating a temporary new Google Nest "home/structure" and attempting to install the camera in that new "home/structure", and then once it is installed, removing it and adding it to the desired Google Nest "home/structure" and deleting that temporary Google Nest "home/structure". These seem to have worked for some customers, but not others.

However, the error could simply be due to the fact that you're trying to use the Google Home app to reinstall a Google Nest Outdoor Camera that can only be installed in the Google Nest app.

Thankfully, I think its the latter, that I was "trying to use the Google Home app to reinstall a Google Nest Outdoor Camera that can only be installed in the Google Nest app" as today I was able to go back and use the nest app and it worked immediately on 2 of the 3 cameras, the other I need an extension ladder for.  Thanks again for your assistance!

@AlSmith 

Glad to hear that worked.

For years, I've been writing down the 6-character alphanumeric setup code for our cameras, so I don't have to climb a ladder and dismount the camera if I have to reset them.

BBN8
Community Member

Community Member

EShare4462

Community Member

iMirror