cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Feature Request: Hide own activities from Google Nest camera notifications

Ferengi
Community Member

I would like to share a feature request for the Google Home app and Google Nest cameras.

Current situation:

• When a Google Nest camera detects a person, a notification is sent to the user's smartphone.
  • This notification can be very useful to know when someone is at the house or if there is a break-in attempt.
  • However, it can also be annoying to constantly receive notifications about your own activities, e.g. when you are walking around the house.

Feature request:

I would like the ability to hide notifications about my own activities. This way, I would only be notified when another person is detected by the camera.

Benefits:

• Fewer annoying notifications
  • Increased relevance of notifications
  • Improved user experience

Technical implementation:

• There could be a setting in the Google Home app to enable or disable notifications about your own activities.
  • The camera could use face recognition or other methods to distinguish your own person from others.

I hope that you will take my request seriously and implement this feature in the future.

Thank you for your time and effort.

4 REPLIES 4

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

This is partly solved today by Home and Away routines. Have you tried that feature?

With presence determined by phone location, Home and Away routines can turn your Nest cameras and doorbells on/off automatically.

Ferengi
Community Member

Hello @David_K! Thank you for your answer. The Home and Away routines certainly have their purpose. However, they don't make sense for my needs. I'll explain why:

My property has several entrances and I want every corner here to be permanently monitored. Regardless of whether I'm at home or not. Hence my request to hide my own activities.

This kind of functionality would open up a whole range of other really cool possibilities. Google has the chance to really score points here. I would even book the Pro version of Gemini for such a feature, if that is the bottleneck for this possibility.

Home and away features are pretty useless when there are more than one of you living in the property I've found. Everything would be sorted with a very simple facial recognition triggers but you just can't isolate individuals for some reason.

Exactly! And I don't think we're the only people who are bothered by this. Google could really score points here if they implemented it properly. I'm eagerly awaiting this feature.