cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest app after it ends

oldkid6
Community Member

Once the Nest app becomes a thing of the past (mistake) and everyone migrates to Google Home; Does this mean user's won't be able to watch the outdoor camera feed on a PC?

I'm not migrating until the last day, and if I don't like the UI with Google Home on my phone or the PC, then I'm going to have to shelf these Nest Cams and find an alternative. If Google Home works in a similar fashion as the Nest app then there's no problem in keeping it. 

Can anyone answer this query? Should I migrate now and find out how it works vs the Nest app? Or, should I start looking for new cameras/system that will work just like my current Nest Outdoor Cams?

9 REPLIES 9

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@oldkid6 

It's possible to watch the live feed for all 1st gen and 2nd gen cameras and doorbells in a browser on a PC using the "Public Preview" home.google.com website, though it's been glitchy ever since it went live in October 2022.

Google Nest has not said anything about ending the Google Nest app. And while they are letting customers try out "transferring" their 1st gen indoor and outdoor cameras from the Google Nest app to the beta "Public Preview" version of the Google Home app (https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Blog/Nest-Cam-Outdoor-1st-gen-expanded-support-rolling-out-in...),  that test capability is still not available for the 1st gen Google Nest Hello Doorbells or the Google Nest IQ Cameras.

And Google Nest has still not moved numerous Nest app functions to the Google Home app, including those listed here:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/13038234#zippy=%2Cnest-app-only-features

So we're sticking with the Google Nest app for our 1st gen cameras and doorbells.

Glitchy sounds iffy at best, they should beta test it and figure out the bugs before asking user's to migrate over to GH. 

From the notifications I have received, Google has already sent out press releases that the Google Nest app will be not supported after April of 2024, and it will be scrubbed. Unless they've changed their mind, which is doubtful as they want everything to be owned and operated under the guise of Google Home. 

If i am incorrect please let me know as this has been an ongoing annoyance since it was announced. I love the Nest app, so anything less of how it performs would be extremely disappointing. What they should have done was make an updated Outdoor Cam with 4 or 5K resolution and kept the Nest app as is. That would have been a huge step up, right now we'll just have to wait and see what GH brings to the table. 

@oldkid6 

Sigh.  Support for the Google Nest app is NOT, repeat, NOT ending in April 2024, and there are no press releases saying so. What IS happening is that on April 8, 2024, as announced on April 7, 2023, Google Nest is ending support for the "Nest Secure" alarm system (including Nest Guards, Nest Detects, and Nest Tags) and for the older "Dropcam" cameras. This is the April 7, 2023 announcement blog post:

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Blog/An-update-for-our-Nest-Secure-Dropcam-and-Works-with-Nes...

Google Nest also says they've emailed customers affected by these two changes with a transition offer (though some customers report they weren't notified).

oldkid6
Community Member

You’ll no longer be able to use the Nest app to check the status of your Nest Secure, control your Nest Secure devices, or receive notifications from your alarm system.

@oldkid6 

Yes, I know. I've posted the link to that Google Nest Help page on "Support for Nest Secure ending" in some of my replies.

Since support for the "Nest Secure" alarm system is ending, customers will no longer be able to use the Google Nest app to access that "Nest Secure" alarm system or its devices.

Many customers who have "Nest Secure" or "Dropcams" are understandably upset that support for both of these is being discontinued.

But if you do NOT have "Nest Secure" or "Dropcams", I don't think you should see any change at all to the Google Nest app on April 8, 2024.

And by the way, since the "Public Preview" home.google.com website IS so glitchy, we continue to use the home.nest.com website that we've always used for our 1st gen cameras and doorbells.

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

MplsCustomer is correct.   Your cameras will continue to work for a long time.  "Nest Secure" is a different Nest product that has nothing to do with the Nest Cameras. We can thank Google for such awful naming conventions that they continuously cause product confusion across the board.   

But your decision to stay on Nest App is a good one and one that I'm going to follow.  Maybe someday I will switch to the Google Home app for both Get 1 and Get 2 cameras but I believe it will take more time (months) for Google to move more of the Nest App functions to the Google Home app.  They are making good progress however.  

oldkid6
Community Member

I see after your explanation that I may have been premature in my understanding. But I got several notifications from Google over the last several months that I should migrate now before they end support for the Nest Cam app. And, the way I read it made it sound like a user, which I have been subscribing with cloud based continuous recording would be ending. That's really the best feature on these cams, the decent resolution and the 30 day history. However, if you're saying that's not going to change, then I'm good. And yes, the wording is very confusing in the notice, and all user's see is "no longer supporting", which to me means..switch to Google Home sooner than later. 

@oldkid6 

Ah, we don't get those notifications. I migrated my Nest Account to a Google Account in 2020 because, with several cameras and doorbells, the "Nest Aware Plus" subscription (obtainable only with a Google Account and the Google Home app) was cheaper than a 1st gen "Nest Aware" subscription on several cameras. But we've continued to use the Google Nest app for our 1st gen cameras and doorbells.

I guess Google Nest will end support for the Google Nest app eventually, but I'm hoping against hope they migrate the Nest app functions to the Google Home app first.  They've had years to do so.