cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest indoor camera working....not working....working...not working....

Chickenwings
Community Member

Hi everyone.  We've got a couple outdoor nest cameras that work great, no issues.  The indoor camera though...sigh...issues.  What I think that does tell me is that the 'network' is working fine.  The problem has to be with the indoor camera itself, doesn't it?

Sometimes it'll work for a while then it just won't pick up anything.  If I fool with the settings,  turn motion detection on and off a bit it seems to work for a day or so then it quits again.

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

The only reason I think it would do that is if the WIFI signal is weak in that area of your hoe.  As a trouble shooting test try moving it closer to your WIFI router and see it is keep working.   If it still fails then it might be defective.  How new is it?   If it is less than 30 day return it and just buy a new one.  If it is less than a year then Google might replace it under the 1 year warranty

Chickenwings
Community Member

Shouldn't be.  It's within 15 feet with a direct line of sight.  The cameras are about 3 years old.  This is a new phenomena.  

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hmmmm, in that case your best bet might be to just purchase one of the used Gen 1 cams from an eBay seller.  I have done this a few times with cameras over the last few years when they stop working.  If you buy one of the newer gen 2 camera be aware they ONLY work with the Google Home app and they will not come up in your Nest app.

I may get an outdoor camera and put it inside.  Those seem to work great.  I have a friend who has similar problems with his indoor cameras.  That leads me to believe the hardware from Nest is not very good.

Thanks for your response!