cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nest wired doorbell only keeping images, no video!

unhappy_nester
Community Member

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9681538?hl=en

This uri references that the nest wired doorbell has three hours of video history included for free. I know this to be the case as I've used it for years. Now it is only keeping a single image for up to three hours.

Chat support was awful. They told me to adjust a couple of settings that don't exist. I went through ALL settings in both the web browser and my phone and none of them had a setting i could find to set a static image.

Please help. Google support is awful now and is unable to assist, but good at keeping me in a chat "for two more minutes" for 30 minutes while they make up random statements.

1 Recommended Answer

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@unhappy_nester 

Which doorbell do you have? Without a Nest Aware subscription, the 1st gen Google Nest Hello Doorbell should provide photo snapshots of events that occurred in the most recent 3 hours, while the 2nd gen Google Nest Doorbell (aka "Nest Doorbell [wired Gen 2]", available since Oct. 2022) and the 2nd gen Google Nest Battery Doorbell (available since Oct. 2021) should provide event video history for events that occurred in the most recent 3 hours.

If you have the 1st gen Google Nest Hello Doorbell, is Video Recording turned on in Settings?

If you have a 2nd gen doorbell, what's checked under Settings | Video | Video history?

View Recommended Answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@unhappy_nester 

Which doorbell do you have? Without a Nest Aware subscription, the 1st gen Google Nest Hello Doorbell should provide photo snapshots of events that occurred in the most recent 3 hours, while the 2nd gen Google Nest Doorbell (aka "Nest Doorbell [wired Gen 2]", available since Oct. 2022) and the 2nd gen Google Nest Battery Doorbell (available since Oct. 2021) should provide event video history for events that occurred in the most recent 3 hours.

If you have the 1st gen Google Nest Hello Doorbell, is Video Recording turned on in Settings?

If you have a 2nd gen doorbell, what's checked under Settings | Video | Video history?

You didn't read my post or are responding to something else. Thumbs down on this answer as it doesn't address my issue.

@unhappy_nester 

I'm just another Google Nest customer like you, but I DID read your post and the Help topic to which you linked. I can't tell WHICH Nest wired doorbell you have (the 1st gen Google Nest Hello Doorbell or the 2nd gen Google Nest Battery Doorbell or the 2nd gen Google Nest Battery Doorbell, wired). And the only way--without a Nest Aware subscription--you should get just a single image for events in the most recent 3 hours is if you have the 1st gen Google Nest Hello Doorbell AND there was just one event in the most recent 3 hours), I thought I would share what I know about the behavior of both 1st and 2nd gen doorbells, as well as when the 2nd gen doorbells became available, in hopes that this might clarify what's going on in your situation.  If you have a 2nd gen doorbell that is only providing a single still image for events in the most recent 3 hours, that's an odd behavior I don't think I've seen reported in this forum.

If my answer does not help, you could contact Support:

1. Go to https://support.google.com/googlenest/gethelp.
2. Select a category/product family, and type in a brief description of the issue, then click "Next".
3. Click "Other", then click "Next step".
4. Under "Resources", just click "Next step". (Clicking one of the listed links will bring up a Help page page.)
5. Under "Contact options", choose to get a phone call or chat with the team, depending on availability in your country.

Or you could try removing your doorbell from either the Google Nest app or Google Home app (as appropriate), doing a factory reset (https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9252162), and then reinstalling your doorbell.