cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

New updates to Google Home for camera users: new AI image detection, requested features, and more!

GoogleNestTeam
Community Manager (Admin)

We recently shared new updates to the Google Home app. You can read more in our community blog: New updates to Google Home for camera users: new AI image detection, requested features, and more!  Have any questions not covered in the FAQ? Let us know in the comments!

1 Recommended Answer

GoogleNestTeam

Hi everyone!

We appreciate the continued discussion about this topic, however this post was intended for a much earlier announcement. We've since updated many things, and brought new features to Public Preview - if you're curious, check out our most recent blog and make sure you're subscribed to stay up-to-date.

We'll be closing this post to keep discussion fresh and easy to find for all members. If you're experiencing an issue with a device - please use the search bar to find similar topics, or create a new topic if you don't find your answer.

Thank you,
Google Nest Team

View Recommended Answer in original post

116 REPLIES 116

tsebastian
Community Member

how long can we make the clips from the 24/7 history? very nice update 

timmmmyyyyy
Community Member

All updates are good updates but honestly there are few 'basic' features that are missing here.

1. Date and time stamps on downloaded footage.
  2. Privacy zones
  3. 15 second rewind/fast forward when scrolling through footage

Options 3 is in the Nest app. You should be able to port that over. Option 1 shouldn't be a big issue really and 2 is just silly it's not there.

The night time quality has also degraded so much, since at least April as well. I was getting 30fps night shots, where I have loads of light. Totally get there are behind the scenes discussions, space saving data exercises etc but come on! Give yourselves a shake.

Agreed on #3

Number 1 date and time stamps for next update please 🙏🏼 

Reeesio
Community Member

And i was curious why i couldn't find that in options. It's a BASIC feature, i can easily find it £25 cameras, and Nest costs 3 x more...It's a joke

MS89
Community Member

I'm still waiting for my Gen 1 Nest indoor cam to transfer into Google home, is the rollout still happening? I've been in the preview since it launched and August is a long time ago so I'm wondering whats going on.

timmmmyyyyy
Community Member

Just checking, you’ve gone through these steps? https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/13038234

not ideal, but can you reset and add directly to GH instead? Or does it have to be migrated? 

MS89
Community Member

Yes I followed all the steps, unfortuntely it has to be migrated, I tried the reset method and It forces me to run through the setup in the nest app

timmmmyyyyy
Community Member

That’s super annoying!! No wonder you’re irritated about that. I have an outdoor cam that will be applicable at some point. Really hope it’s not buggy for that. 

timmmmyyyyy
Community Member

Just had mine trigger in Preview. Took 10 minutes and but seems to have worked. Hope you get it sorted.

Hello Tim, I'm not sure what you mean by "just had mine trigger".    Are you talking about Custom Clips?

I mean the prompt to migrate the Nest Cam Outdoor Gen 1 to the GH from Nest. Yet to see the customs clips option

Got it, thanks,  12/7/23 5PM and I still don't see custom clips either.   There is one feature that I'm REALLY hoping they carried over from the NEST app.  And that is when you make and save a slip it lives on the Google Server and you can send someone a link to watch it.  This is a big deal for me.   I don't want to just save the clip to my Photos on my phone. 

gilleslibre
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

Eh! These are eagerly awaited improvements, especially the ability to create custom clips from recorded videos! 

It would be a home run if you included time stamps in these videos for use by law enforcement officers. 

Thnak you for the updates and for keeping us informed. 

gilleslibre
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

I find it reassuring that Google is coming with new releases about their cameras. I was starting to wonder if Google was abandonning the field as no improvements were added for a while. 

Now, as the market and the competition is shifting to 2K and 4K resolutions for their cameras, I wonder if the new cameras from Google will follow suit? 

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

I am so ready for the updates.  If anyone see the new feature for exporting clips please post it here and maybe a few screen shots if possible.   There was an update available to the app today so I did it but this feature still does not appear.   As best I can tell I'm on Google Home a  Version 3.10.103 on an iPhone

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

It is now Saturday December 2, 2023... has anyone see the new clip-export feature appear yet in the app?   My iPhone shows I'm running Google  Home v3.10.103 but I don't see any such feature.  

It’s in public preview NOT full release and you don’t get the preview features on iPhone. You’ll have to wait for the full release; whenever that is. 

Thanks tim,  I'm on the pubic preview for  iPhone and I was able to migrate my Gen 1 Outdoor cam over to the Google Home app and I can now see recorded events like advertised.  So on the iPhone it appears I have some of the new features.   I also looked through all the release notes and I don't see anything that says the features are in the preview are not in iPhone.  Did you see that written some where?

Well, my bad and apologies! I tried to get into the preview previously (about a year and half ago) and nothing happened on iOS. Kept crashing and not accepting. I phoned support and was told it's not available for iOS; android only. I see an option to join but it does nothing on the iPhone and serves no error message to give me some idea as to why it won't. (ie. Its limited to a certain number of people and they're full up)

Hello again,,, wow, bummer it won't let  you get it.  I have been on the preview for over a year (I think).  I remember getting it when they first released it for iPhone.

I'm curious, when you got the app store on your iPhone and search on GOOGLE HOME and then actually select it what version number does it show?   Mine shows 3.10.103  (see screen shot)IMG_7788.jpeg

So, since you've said you're on it, I've been 'angrily' searching for why.  It is because I didn't have 'Add me their groups' selected in Google Groups. WTAF. I cannot tell you how annoyed I am at such a simple 'fix'!

AAAANNNNYYYWWWAAAAYYY, that has now allowed me to 'Join'. Will see what happens.

Apologies, once again.

Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 18.03.58.png

Good you found that.  Let me know and when you are able to get onto the preview.  Did you have a chance to look and see what version of the Google Home app you are on?  I'm just curious. 

IMG_0277.jpeg

Hmmmm, so we are on the same version number.   One more thing to show you.  When I go into the app and click on the gear in the lower right corner and then scroll all the way to the bottom is says I'm on PUBLIC PREVIEW (see image).  does your app show anything there? 

IMG_7791 (1).jpeg

not yet. I guess I'm waiting to be properly enrolled. Will be a few days, I suppose but its now been requested.

IMG_0279.pngIMG_0278.jpeg

Sounds like you are on your way and hopefully in a few days it will happen.

So, Preview was accepted by the time I got up on Monday morning but it's not end of day Thursday and the 1st gen cam I had has just been transferred over. Just waiting on custom clips. Bet that will be another week or so.

St1
Community Member

One of the things i miss the most between nest and home is the ability for an image preview in notifications on the lock screen and my watch and in the app when it opens - i love having all of the images for my whole property load in one screen.

Also where are my nest protects? in the nest app i have my previews by room with my protects in the rooms.

both of these things may already be in place and i just missed them because while i am in the beta i have not made the full conversion because it is just not there yet.

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Update: 12/09/2023 SAVE CLIP option updated for me.  I'm on the PREVIEW version 3.10.103 of the Google Home app on iPhone with NEST AWARE PLUS.    As of today I can look anywhere at the 24/7 timeline and stop the video at any point I want.  Then clicking on the 3-bars in the lower right corner there is a SAVE CLIP button there.  This button has been there for a long time but it only appeared if you were viewing an actual recorded event.   When you click the SAVE CLIP button now it offers the option to set the length form 30 seconds to 5 minutes.   Sadly, it does not let you name the clip and it still does not generate a time/date stamp in the video which police departments strong prefer.   

Just checked mine and I now have the same. Exactly as you described. 

Great to hear. 😃 In the app I used the Feedback option  to request they add the time/date stamp.   That is the only place Google sees requests as they don't spend any time here on this user forum.

gilleslibre
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

With the Android version, we get the date, time stamp in the file that you download.

When viewing the file with Android, they are shown under the viewer of the video.

When viewing on the computer, you need to use a viewer that displays comments. You then need to activate the comments and the date-time stamp will be shown in the viewing window.  

For iPhone, there is a date and time stamp embedded in the metadata but that’s the time for when the video was downloaded not when it was filmed. I want it on imprinted on the actual video but for the actual time for video.  Hope that makes sense. 

gilleslibre
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

To view the comments in the downloaded file (that is the date-time stamp of the sequence), I use 'Power Media Player' which I downloaded from the Net. To view the date-time stamp, activate the comments when viewing the file. 

gilleslibre
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

Screen shot of my computer with the datetimeline shown in the middle of the screen:  

gilleslibre_0-1702156425771.png

gilleslibre
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

Screenshot of my Android device with the date-timeline shown at the bottom of the screen:

Screenshot_20231209_154644_Video Player.jpg

gilleslibre
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

But like Emptynester pointed out to me, this should not be as complicated! The viewing file should have the date-timeline embedded in the video for immediate viewing or else the police officers will be at a loss to see it function properly. 

kevin-in-ky
Community Member

What about time lapse video clip creation support? 

When will that be supported in the Home App?