cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Swapping 1st Gen for 2nd Gen doorbell

Tadclark
Community Member

I am replacing my first generation nest doorbell with a second generation nest doorbell. Both are wired. Is there anything special I need to consider other than just swapping out the doorbells? Anything I need to do from an account basis in particular so I don’t generate another annual fee? The first generation doorbell is being retired.

1 Recommended Answer

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@Tadclark 

1) The 2nd gen Google Nest Doorbell can only be installed in the Google Home app (and NOT in the Google Nest app).

2) Because of this, the doorbell will lack these Nest app functions: https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/13038234#zippy=%2Cnest-app-only-features

3) If you have a 1st gen Nest Aware subscription, it will NOT apply to the 2nd gen doorbell (but you can get a pro-rated refund of your 1st gen subscription when you cancel it).

4) The newer Nest Aware and Nest Aware Plus subscriptions (available since 2020) apply to ALL Google Nest cameras and doorbells in the same Google Nest "home/structure".

5) You will NOT be able to view history for the 2nd gen camera in a browser on your computer, because the home.google.com website (unlike the home.nest.com website) is available (since October 2022) in a beta "Public Preview" version that includes only live-streaming.

6) You will need to replace your 1st gen 4-wire Nest Hello chime connector with the 2nd gen 2-wire chime connector that will come with your doorbell.

View Recommended Answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@Tadclark 

1) The 2nd gen Google Nest Doorbell can only be installed in the Google Home app (and NOT in the Google Nest app).

2) Because of this, the doorbell will lack these Nest app functions: https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/13038234#zippy=%2Cnest-app-only-features

3) If you have a 1st gen Nest Aware subscription, it will NOT apply to the 2nd gen doorbell (but you can get a pro-rated refund of your 1st gen subscription when you cancel it).

4) The newer Nest Aware and Nest Aware Plus subscriptions (available since 2020) apply to ALL Google Nest cameras and doorbells in the same Google Nest "home/structure".

5) You will NOT be able to view history for the 2nd gen camera in a browser on your computer, because the home.google.com website (unlike the home.nest.com website) is available (since October 2022) in a beta "Public Preview" version that includes only live-streaming.

6) You will need to replace your 1st gen 4-wire Nest Hello chime connector with the 2nd gen 2-wire chime connector that will come with your doorbell.

Tadclark
Community Member

Wow! What a mess. I never would’ve thought this would not be a simple swap. I think the only solution is to return it. The current doorbell works perfectly with my Nest thermostats too. I can see things getting hosed up,  let alone getting a new subscription and trying to get a prorated refund! I’m really surprised Google took this approach. Glad I asked and thank you for the information.

If I purchase a 1st Gen doorbell (aka Hello doorbell) will that be a simple swap and avoid all the hassles getting a 2nd gen as listed above?

@Tadclark 

You'd have to purchase a Nest Hello on eBay or Amazon or somewhere that still has some, since Google Nest is no longer selling them.

And Google Nest is no longer selling 1st gen Nest Aware subscriptions, and it seems you could not transfer your subscription:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9228198?hl=en

We have 3 Nest Hello Doorbells that we're sticking with.  The internal battery has now failed on all 3, so we turned off the "Indoor chime" option to keep them from going offline when the doorbell button is pressed, and are relying instead on "Visitor announcements" on our Nest Hubs and Nest Mini.  And we have silicone "skins" from Amazon on 2 of them to cover the peeling shards from the face of the doorbell.  But they still work.

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

About 2 years ago my Nest Hello failed an I bought the newer Gen 2.  Within a week I discovered everything that MplsCustomer discussed.   I ended up returning it and bought a used HELLO on ebay and all is good and I'm very happy staying in the NEST APP world until such time that the GOOGLE HOME app does what I need.  However I have been waiting 2+ years.