cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble adding the new Nest Cam to the Nest app

MPM1378
Community Member

Hi,

I just bought a new indoor Nest Cam and tried to install it on my network which already has another 2 Nest Cam which shows in both "Google Home" and Nest" app. 

So I opened the Nest app, and tried to add a new product, after scanning the QR code it took me to the "Google Home" app for further installation, and after going through all the steps it was installed successfully in "Google Home" app and works perfectly there, but when I go back to Nest application it is not there?!

I restarted my app, and camera, and tried to do manual adding without scanning again the same error?

I appreciate your support and advice on this problem

Warm regards

2 Recommended AnswerS

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

It sounds like you've purchased one of the following newer models which are designed for the Google Home app. They will not appear in and cannot be added to the Nest app.

• Nest Cam (wired)
  • Nest Cam with Floodlight
  • Nest Cam (battery)

View Recommended Answer in original post

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@MPM1378 

Unfortunately, the 2nd gen Google Nest Cameras and doorbells that have been released starting in Sept. 2021 get installed only in the Google Home app and NOT in the Google Nest app.

We discovered this in Sept. 2021 when we bought a 2nd gen Google Nest Battery Camera, and have had to use 2 apps ever since to manage our cameras.

Google Nest is pushing us to try out the beta "Public Preview" version of the Google Home app, and try out "transferring" our 1st gen cameras to the Google Home app (https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Blog/Nest-Cam-Outdoor-1st-gen-expanded-support-rolling-out-in...), but 1st gen Google Nest Hello Doorbells and IQ Cameras cannot yet be "transferred", and the Google Home app still lacks many Nest app functions (https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/13038234#zippy=%2Cnest-app-only-features).

Eventually, I think Google Nest will try to phase out the Google Nest app  in favor of the Google Home app, but I'm hoping against hope they add the missing Nest app functions to the Google Home app first, even though there seem to be no plans to add those missing functions.

View Recommended Answer in original post

6 REPLIES 6

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

It sounds like you've purchased one of the following newer models which are designed for the Google Home app. They will not appear in and cannot be added to the Nest app.

• Nest Cam (wired)
  • Nest Cam with Floodlight
  • Nest Cam (battery)

JWillRVA
Community Member

Unfortunately the newer cameras are only available in the Google Home app and not the Nest app. Which is really a shame because the Nest app is a far better UI and has more features.

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@MPM1378 

Unfortunately, the 2nd gen Google Nest Cameras and doorbells that have been released starting in Sept. 2021 get installed only in the Google Home app and NOT in the Google Nest app.

We discovered this in Sept. 2021 when we bought a 2nd gen Google Nest Battery Camera, and have had to use 2 apps ever since to manage our cameras.

Google Nest is pushing us to try out the beta "Public Preview" version of the Google Home app, and try out "transferring" our 1st gen cameras to the Google Home app (https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Blog/Nest-Cam-Outdoor-1st-gen-expanded-support-rolling-out-in...), but 1st gen Google Nest Hello Doorbells and IQ Cameras cannot yet be "transferred", and the Google Home app still lacks many Nest app functions (https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/13038234#zippy=%2Cnest-app-only-features).

Eventually, I think Google Nest will try to phase out the Google Nest app  in favor of the Google Home app, but I'm hoping against hope they add the missing Nest app functions to the Google Home app first, even though there seem to be no plans to add those missing functions.

MPM1378
Community Member

Thank you everyone for the clarification and advice. I have been working on this for hrs trying to fix but if this the case, I won't be able to fix that ever. It is a shame that google is not fixing this problem?!

Thanks

@MPM1378 

Google Nest does not recognize this as a problem.  They intentionally designed the 2nd gen Google Nest cameras and doorbells to work in the Google Home app and NOT in the Google Nest app.

JWillRVA
Community Member

The problem isn’t the fact that it only works in the Google Home app, the problem is the lack of features available there. If they were to migrate all the Nest features to the Home app I doubt many people would have an issue. Surely not enough of an issue to jump on a forum and complain about, which is unfortunately the current state of the Reddit Google Home forums. Maybe one day, it’s only been just shy of a decade at this point. lol