cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was working fine, but Doorbell video no longer automatically pops up nor plays chimes on Display Hub

bobnarz
Community Member

Three weeks ago, I installed the Doorbell Wired, 2nd Generation with two Google Display Hubs. I connected the Doorbell to a dedicated transformer power line constantly feeding DC power to the doorbell. The verified the power is within the Google power specifications. So the Doorbell is wired completely separate from the old doorbell system and I did not hook up the doorbell puck that is included with the Doorbell Wired. Everything worked perfectly for the last three weeks.

Just this week, the Home app suddenly said I needed to log in, both Display Hubs indicated they were waiting to be connected, and the Doorbell Wired no longer rang or displayed video on the Display Hubs. So I logged back into my Google Home account, the Display Hubs appeared to normally work, and it seemed like it was working like before. Yet, there is no longer a chime sounding on the Display Hubs and the video does not pop up. The videos are still being stored in history and I can manually start the Doorbell video live feed. 

The issue is:  Display Hubs no longer plays a chime, nor does the video automatically pop up. I have to manually start the Doorbell on the Display Hub to see only live video. Even when the Display Hubs are manually engaged, the chime does not play.

What I have tried:

1. Factory reset both Display Hubs (Doorbell does not appear to have a factory reset capability)

2. Deleted all prior devices from original Google Home account, deleted old Google Home account, created a new one, reinstalled Doorbell and Display Hubs on new Google Home account.

3. Power cycled each device.

4. I played with every conceivable setting, yet the doorbell still does not chime and the video still does not automatically show on Display Hubs.

Help...and please refrain from just reciting what I can easily read online. I've spent four hours on this and it WAS working just fine.

1 Recommended Answer

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@bobnarz 

I don't know if this would help (your collection of symptoms is odd), but do you have the "Indoor chime" option turned off for your doorbell in the Google Home app (since your doorbell is not connected to an indoor doorbell chime)? And is the "Visitor announcements" option still turned on for your doorbell?

View Recommended Answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@bobnarz 

I don't know if this would help (your collection of symptoms is odd), but do you have the "Indoor chime" option turned off for your doorbell in the Google Home app (since your doorbell is not connected to an indoor doorbell chime)? And is the "Visitor announcements" option still turned on for your doorbell?

I could have sworn I tried turning on-and-off all the options. But, I tried turning on Visitor Announcements and turning off Indoor Chime -- it worked! I guess I never tried that combination. If only I could get back the prior four hours 🙂 Thank you @MplsCustomer 

@bobnarz 

You're welcome.  Glad it worked. You need the "Visitor announcements" option, of course, and you don't want the doorbell to try anything electrical to ring an indoor chime it's not connected to.

Google Nest's documentation SHOULD address configuration and wiring for doorbells that are connected directly to a transformer or adapter, with no indoor doorbell chime.