cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chromecast - Cannot connect

KyleP
Community Member

I have used chromecast for the past several years with no issues. Once I moved places, I can no longer connect my phone to chromecast. I have gone through all of the troubleshooting I could possibly find on here and the internet. I get to a point in the set up process where it says “Something went wrong” and “Your device may be set up, but we can not connect to it from your phone” (local network access is on)

I have fully connected to it before. But once I leave my place and come back, the cast button no longer appears when trying to cast video to the TV, and I have to reconnect, and then it won’t connect anymore. 

My landlord utilizes a Google nest, but I have my own WiFi within the same house that is powered by the nest. Could that be the issue? Please help. Thank you! 

5 REPLIES 5

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

You may already have tried some of these steps but I'll link to them in full:

Need help with setup? Troubleshoot common Chromeca… - Google Nest Community

KyleP
Community Member

I have discovered that since I have WiFi from a Google router that is connected to the main Google nest. I cannot run chromecast, because I do not have permission to manage my router, through the main Google nest. In essence, my chromecast cannot connect because it thinks my local network access is turned off. However, it is turned on in my Google home app. The Google nest is interrupting the connection of the chromecast. If anyone from Google is reading this. I should be able to connect my chromecast because I have a separate WiFi within the nest that has a different router and password. Can we change this please? If my WiFi works great, I feel like I should be able to chromecast with no issue. 

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Are you saying your phone and Chromecast are connected to different Wi-Fi networks?

KyleP
Community Member

They are connected to the same WiFi network. 

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Try these steps:

1. Power off your modem or modem/router combo.
  2. Power off all your routers and points.
  3. Wait 30 seconds (no seriously, it sounds slightly strange I know).
  4. Power on your modem and wait for it to fully power on.
  5. Power on just your primary router and wait for it to fully power on,

Try setting up Chromecast again and let us know what happens.