cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chromecast divice

Geofff
Community Member

May I get a bit of help in selecting  a Chromecast device.

We have recently installed Fiber broadband but now my 1st generation Chromecast device will not recognise the new Wi-fi . As the device is 1st generation I have read that I cannot reboot the device to recognise the new Wi-fi.

I need a new device but which one do I buy.

We have an old Panasonic TV and the 1st Gen product worked well.

I have looked on the web but the technical jargon is baffling. Maybe recommending a product is not allowed but it's worth asking.

Very many thanks

1 Recommended Answer

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

You can no longer reset/change the Wi-Fi using the app as you've already changed Wi-Fi networks. There is most definitely a physical button on the device to reset it, it can be a trouble to find sometimes.

Follow the steps in the help article below that shows how to find the reset button on every model of Chromecast. It's always on the edge of the Chromecast itself, near to the power input. Once you've found the reset button, follow the steps in the next help article to factory reset your Chromecast.

How to find the physical factory reset button on your Chromecast
How to factory reset your Chromecast

View Recommended Answer in original post

8 REPLIES 8

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

You can factory reset your existing Chromecast so you can set it up again using your new Wi-Fi network.

1. Open the Google Home app.
  2. At the top left, tap Add + > Set up device > New device > set up new devices in your home.
  3. Follow the in-app steps.

If these steps above don’t solve the issue, you’ll need to factory reset your Chromecast (follow the steps using the physical button on the device), then set it up again using your new Wi-Fi network and password. 

Instead of factory resetting your Chromecast, if you're comfortable changing your router settings, you can change your new Wi-Fi network name and password in your router's settings to be the same as the previous ones. Your device should then automatically connect to the Wi-Fi.

Geofff
Community Member

That was a very quick reply David thanks.

There is no button on my Chromcast device. I  have attempted resetting as you suggest using the App.

I eventually get to a page that is headed How to factory reset your Chromecast. Then touching that heading  there is a paragraph on the next page Headed Google Home app. Then under the sub heading NOTE it then says this option is only available if you're on the same network that your Chromecast was set up on. Now this is not the case as we have a new Wi-Fi system. So I am stuck and I thought a new stick was required hence the post.  G

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

You can no longer reset/change the Wi-Fi using the app as you've already changed Wi-Fi networks. There is most definitely a physical button on the device to reset it, it can be a trouble to find sometimes.

Follow the steps in the help article below that shows how to find the reset button on every model of Chromecast. It's always on the edge of the Chromecast itself, near to the power input. Once you've found the reset button, follow the steps in the next help article to factory reset your Chromecast.

How to find the physical factory reset button on your Chromecast
How to factory reset your Chromecast

Geofff
Community Member

Morning David,

By now you will know you are corresponding with an idiot.

My grandson usually sets up and fixes all the technology in the house but he is at University now hence the idiot.

I have found the button thanks for the clues. I cannot however find the help article as mentioned in your note.

I have resorted to using the instructions in the Google Home App but the device will not connect.

I pressed the button and the irregular flashing white light went red. I held the button down for well over 25 seconds and the TV screen went into a snow like pattern.

I released the button and then a red flashing light turned to a steady white.

After 30 seconds or so the white light turned to an irregular flashing as it was at the start.

I attempted to connect to the device but my ipad screen told me that I was not connected.

Any Ideas

Geoff

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Not to worry, that's what we're here for!

Sounds like it has now been reset, which is good.

You mentioned it's now flashing as it was at the start, flashing red or white?

Do you see anything on the TV screen or is it blank?

Geofff
Community Member

Hi David,

The Device is flashing irregular white and the screen on the TV is showing the Google emblem and saying it cannot connect. Just about all the family have had a go at  getting it to work just so they can say yes I am an idiot. Daughter then called me a cheepskate and told me to buy a new device after discovering I have had that gadget for about 5 years. I have therefore just purchased a new Chromecast HD Snow delivery Saturday 6th.

I hope it is as easy to set up as the ad indicates.

Very many thanks for all your help and guidance. I know I should have bought a new device

days ago. old and daft.

Thanks again Geoff

Geofff
Community Member

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Geofff
Community Member

Hi David,

I just don't understand all this Google stuff. The system indicated an error and I had to put 12 characters in the reply. What was all that about? Then I received your note asking if I had any help by email and not on the system so I could not reply. I know I'm hopeless but it's seems to be a very techie business selling to thickies like me.

None of the family could make the 1st Gen Chromecast work. We phoned grandson who is supposed to be all things techie and he gave up.

We bought a new Chromecast with Googe TV and found that so complicated with apps and stuff we have sent it back to Amazon.

I have now ordered a Chinese dongle supposed to be cheap and nasty and we will try that.

Thanks for your help from a very frustrated Google almost customer.

Geoff