cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation for Prioritizing a Device connected to Wifi

davetheus
Community Member

I'm trying to write an automation script which essentially Prioritizes my mac studio during workday hours.  I've been trying the following but obviously the action isn't correct.  Any help would be much appreciated.

metadata:
name: Prioritize Mac-Studio on Workdays
description: Scripted automation to prioritize Mac-Studio during Workday hours.
automations:
- starters:
- type: time.schedule
at: 8:00
actions:
# Prioritizing Device
- type: device.command.Prioritize
devices:
- Mac-Studio - Office
connect: true
- starters:
- type: time.schedule
at: 18:00
actions:
# Prioritizing Device
- type: device.command.Prioritize
devices:
- Mac-Studio - Office
connect: false

The Mac-Studio is a device connected to the Wi-Fi but not a "device" in the Google Home App sense.  So I'm a bit at a loss.

2 REPLIES 2

Apsilon778
Community Member

This would be an interesting feature to say the least kudos on your post, Google Wi-Fi needs better support sadly....

I am not sure if this can work as an automation at this time? Possibly post this as a feature suggestion. 

Best regards,
Apsilon
"I fight for the users"

Hi,

You can use If This Then That (ifttt.com) to prioritise a Google Wifi device on your network .

You can setup applets here: https://ifttt.com/google_wifi

You can run up to 2 on a free account.

I have two applets:

1. If Every hour at 00 minutes past the hour, then Prioritize Family PC on Google Wifi

2. If Family PC connects to Google Wifi, then Prioritize Family PC on Google Wifi

The first applet prioritises the Family PC every hour on the hour (as you can only do so for one hour).

The second applet prioritises the computer for an hour when it connects to the network.

The second rule covers the power cut case. Also if the device is off the network I'm not sure it can be prioritised (but I'm not sure).

I've had this working for a few years and it's reliable.

Hope this helps,

Justin.