cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Home Automation lost all of my rooms and routines yet still works some what....what happened?

MotoringMariah
Community Member

So 2-3 months ago I began investigating migrating my legacy X10 Home Automation to Google Home.  I bought several devices set them up in different rooms, linked my iRobot, Sonos, Gosund, Tuya, accounts and created different automation routines to turn things on/off.   All was good until recently when I went into the GHA app on my phone to manually turn a light on and all my rooms are gone, the routines are no longer listed.   Yet when I say OK Google turn on something it knows what that something is.    I get automated notifications about my routines running but I can't find them in the app.    Where did all my configuration settings go?

One possibility....I asked early on and nobody could answer for me was where do all the automation routines live/run?  I didn't want them on my Android Phone as I travel a lot and if my phone doesn't have INET then the automation routines will not run.   At some point I bought a Google Mini and put it on my network but all I could do with it was get it to be my ok Google interface to turn things on and off.    Recently I went into the app and OMG there was now an option to run the routines on the Mini which I selected.    Is it possible I can't see all my config data now because it's on the Mini?   How do I edit them if they are on the Mini instead of my phone?

Start_Routines.jpg

Now when I go into GHA it see's the Mini and my Sonos Speakers but none of my routines or rooms:

GHA_Blank.jpgGHA_Blank2.jpg

Notice on the first GHA screen there are links to connect my iRobot, Gosund, Tuya, accounts again when I did that months ago.   Did the GHA service get an update in the background that wiped out all of my settings?   How do we get answers to questions?   I've posted here a bunch and all I ever get from the moderators is thank you for your input we'll take that under consideration.....this is crowd sourced learning and support IMO.

8 REPLIES 8

MotoringMariah
Community Member

NVM: So I think I figured this out on my own but it's still not 100% clear.  I have two Google Mail profiles on my Android Phone, one is the new one I started this summer and used to initially setup GHA.   Then I have my old gmail profile I want to transition away from.   I get e-mail notifications for both accounts on the same phone so sometimes it's hard to know which one was the destination.   My Android phone updated it's OS several times over the summer and when I finally launched GHA it prompted me to login and I used my old e-mail profile which gave me the strange results.   Tonight I was recreating all of my rooms and adding devices to my home when my Sunset Routine ran and I got notification.   When I clicked on it I was prompted to invite myself to my home which I thought was weird.   The more I looked into I figured it out when I login with my new Gmail profile everything that was missing re-appears while my old Gmail profile has just the basics.    I'll share more tomorrow and going forward as I'm back to completing my X10 to GHA migration and have a ton of smart wall switches and sockets to install and configure to replace my legacy control points.....I invited my Wife to be a member of our GHA Home but I suspect she is going to get the same as my old e-mail i.e. just the basics and I'll have to recreate all the rooms and add devices to the rooms/homes which kinda stinks.   I know I wanted to configure my Tablet with GHA and I had hard time figuring out why it didn't inherit all the defs I did on my phone in GHA.

SirCody
Community Member

Oh wow I've missed my replicability of my home automation, Hal 2000 and Butler in a Box software. It's still the same price per module, lamp module and appliance module for under $10 each and that was back in early 90s when I worked for ADI in CLT NC. It uses your wiring in your home to carry the signals instead of this unreliable WiFi that has to be registered & limited and much more experience to maintain.X-10 lamp modules are Dimmable for under $10 , only way to make a regular lamp dimmable on a Wi-Fi system is either expensive $25 to $40 per module or wifi bulb which will get expensive when they burn out. Space Odyssey 2000, that's Hal automation.

Only downside of the system is the mic system which is called and open Air mic system, very expensive, only reason Google home got money was the cost of each mini which I got for $4 and splurged on ceiling flush mounts. So over the years since I've had Google I've been hoping someone who eventually design an affordable device that would accept WiFi from Google and send to the x-10 RF transceiver . SO PLEASE share with me who making these  please and thank you!! 

SirCody
Community Member

And with that automation system you can make it's HOT WORD anything your heart or mouth desires. I'm really Fed up with having to say OK GOOGLE and if you have Android devices or friends and family have the assistant voice respond on in those devices then you're ticking people off if they were right in the middle of using their phone or the whole **bleep** house screaming at you cause they aren't Room to Room dependent like open air mic systems that shutdown the mic in the room you are leaving.

Now Google is making some commands respond without saying the only Hot word they'll allow us.

Arrogance and they're starting to remind me of two other controlling companies, we can't play music on all our speakers at the same time unless you pay for it. Wth Google I was able to when I first started buying your stuff and I had the Chromecast audio which is no longer available and I didn't have to keep me screen on on the TV just to listen to free music apps .. unless I hack everything..lol

SirCody
Community Member

I apologize I jumped the gun on thinking you found a device that handled this but I just saw where you said eash room. Well thats the best part about X-10 was how easy the set-up was ,plug in turn two little switches and your done. X-10 is the cheapest compared to the brand names in the electrical department, garage door makers etc.. Thanks for your post and giving me something to think about doing myself

MotoringMariah
Community Member

SirCody don't be a hater, X10 WAS good back in the day but for me I got tired of the flakiness, loss of connectivity issues, communication problems and failure rate of their devices.  I was married to X10 for 30+ years but it's time for me to give in and try something new.   I agree when I first looked at GHA Wifi solutions, control point prices were higher and number of options limited.    But now I'm buying GoSund plugin in relay modules for $7/each.   Tuya wall toggle switches are bout $23/each which is close if not what I paid for the SmartHome X10 relay toggle switches.     Both Tuya and Gosund make Wifi controllable wall sockets and I'm paying about $15/each again similar to what I use to pay for the X10 outlets.   Price wise it's no longer an issue IMO.   I don't do dimmer's but they have them too.  I have a lot of LED lighting prefer relay style on/off control points.   

Your claim of "unreliable WiFi" is just that your claim.  For me in my house where I have a Synology MESH WiFi network to cover my 2 story almost 4000 sq/ft home my WiFi coverage is great and so far 3 months in I have no issues with these devices connecting/staying connected to my network.   The size of my house and complexity of my electrical system with two circuit breaker panels meant I had to have X10 bridges in two places to help the X10 signal propagate from A to B sides of the 220V system.   Those bridges were prone to failing over time.  The bridges are just bandwidth pass capacitors to allow the signals to cross from A to B and back.   Capacitors are prone to failure over time with transient spikes and I live in the lightening capital of the US so I get several failures a year.    To early to tell if the GoSund/Tuya devices will last any longer but for the price if I have to replace them it'll be the same as what I was paying to replace X10 control points.    For me my great WiFi coverage solves the flakiness of communication I had with X10.

Now your AI/Hal2000/Butler comments are understood.  I resisted the voice recognition for years disabling it on my phone and I certainly didn't want a hot mike in my home.....BUT over time I started seeing the value.  I love my Google Voicemail which converts the voice messages into text and sends them to me.  I never listen to voicemail I just read it!     When driving texting is taboo, my big hands struggle to hit the little keys when texting from anywhere other than the car, so at some point I enabled voice recognition to send texts by voice and frankly it's safer and easier so I'm doin it.   Lastly with X10 I never had an app for my phone so I used a variety of hand held remotes and RF receivers.  My wife could never figure out how to use the remotes so I was always the one in control of the lights.   Now with the Mini my Wife can say hay Google turn on the living room lights and boom it works, no buttons to push and she's happy.  I hate all of these tech companies are collecting all of our data and doing who knows what with it but I've got nothing to hide per-say so I'm not too worried about the hot mic issues.   It's a valid concern but just not for me at this point.    I agree with the universe of technology is not perfect but as the integrations continue to improve I'm seeing the value/benefit/and enjoy having it.    The GHA integration allows me to control Roomba, Govee LED Lights, Sonos, MyQ Garage, BigAss Fans, Thermostat, and the Gosund/Tuya control points from one app on my phone or by voice from anywhere in the world.    Prior to this I had to have an app for each on my phone and launch them individually with no integration and it only worked from my home.

You want to stay with X10 go for it, When I finish my migration I am going to put this box of assorted goodies on Ebay for $100 cause I know some people don't want to abandon what they know and someone will buy it!   I have 2 more Tuya wall switches to install, four outlets, and I bought their hardwire smart relay for two circuits that have no switch that I currently control with an X10 module so in a couple of more weeks I should be able to say I'm done and put all my X10 components up for sale....

X10-For-Sale.JPG

Hey there,
I just wanted to stop in here to see if there was anything that I could help with or if we were still needing help?

Please let me know.

Best regards,
Garrett DS

Hey there,
Just wanted to jump in here to check to make sure that you saw our response. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns as I will be locking this in 24 hours.

Have a great day.
Garrett DS

Hey folks,
It looks like we haven't heard back from the OP so I'm going to go ahead and lock the thread. If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to create a new thread.

Have a great day,
Garrett DS