Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let’s Discuss! Smart Home Automations for Pets

GoogleNestTeam
Community Manager (Admin)
Community Manager (Admin)

Hey Nest Community,

May is National Pet Month in the United States! And as all pet parents know - scaley, feathery, and furry friends are very important inhabitants of your household and can absolutely benefit from the connectedness of a smart home. We put together our favorite automations to help your pets live their best lives at home – and we’d love to hear about the innovative ways you’ve used smart devices and automations to do the same. 

Maybe you use custom Routines built around feeding time, or use scheduled smart lights to create a pet friendly environment while you’re away from home. Leave a comment and let us know your favorite, tech-savvy ways to meet your pet’s needs.

Cheers,
The Google Nest Team

Pet_snowball_community-png.png

3 REPLIES 3

Jhona
Community Member

Web browser

salbando
Community Member

I would sure like to know how to make an automation that detects my dog. Because I have the Google Nest Cam (indoor/outdoor 2nd gen) cameras and I have a Nest Aware subscription. I have them configured to detect animals including dogs and cats. They work well to detect animals vs people, but they never trigger on dog or cat specifically (i.e. device.event.AnimalDogDetection doesn't work in Google Home Automation Script Editor).

I should mention that device.event.AnimalDogDetection is a valid starter for my cameras inasmuch as the code validates without error.

Additionally, the Google Home App only gives two starters for my 2nd gen cameras:  1) charging or discharging and 2) plugged in or unplugged.

I find that a strange set of starters. There should be some sort of motion detection for a starter. After all, it is the primary thing a person would do with their camera. It is super unlikely they would want to have a starter of charging or discharging.

salbando
Community Member

If you can't answer my question, how about just tell me which camera to buy (assuming my Nest Cam 2nd gen is not ever going to work) that will be able to detect a dog or cat?