cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone knowing when I am home or away

Louis21
Community Member

Hi All, Google does not change my home to “away” until I am quite far away meaning my automation does not turn on straight away when I leave. It however knows when I get home straight away. Has anyone else had this issue? I use an Apple phone and all location settings are turned on. I was under the impression that Google ring fenced your house as you add in your address to set up the home. Has anyone else had this issue? 

1 REPLY 1

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@Louis21 

We don't use the home/away feature, but this is what Google Nest says about the feature:

"Because Nest only needs to know whether you’ve left or come back, it won’t continually record your phone’s exact location like a GPS navigation app. Your phone’s location also isn’t used to determine when exactly you walk in the door or when you drive out of the garage.

Instead, the app defines a large area around your home called a geofence that acts like a home zone.The Nest app only gets a notification from the location services of your phone’s OS to determine when you enter or leave your home zone.

For example, if you walk over to your next door neighbor’s house, your home may not switch to away because you still may be within your home’s geofence."

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9257400?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&sjid=13766485...