cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Presence sensing home and away automations are not working.

Nthn4
Community Member

Hi, I’m wondering if anyone can help. I’ve turned on my presence sensing in the Google home app, and created home and away routines for lights to turn on/off when I leave or come home. When I leave the house, Google Home knows I have left as I can see an ‘away’ icon in the top left of the app, but the lights will not turn on/off even though I have routines for these features to kick in. 

I know there are also home and away features in the Nest app and I have tried selecting these to override Google home presence sensing feature. However, neither seem to work. All location services are turned on, I’ve Googled / YouTubed my query but nothing is working. 
Can anyone help…?

Currently presence sensing is turned on in the Google home app. 

Thanks

Nathan

6 REPLIES 6

ImNotANestUser
Community Member

My experience with presence sensing is not good.  The automations do eventually activate but 10-15 minutes after I get home...not ideal.  However, when I'm in my car and connected to Android Auto, things are much better.

Not good enough for me to use.

radiobuff
Community Member

I have the same problem. It just became an issue in the last week. I've noticed when I go into the Automation tab and open up the Home/Away Routines, that presence sensing is no longer showing up under Triggers by default. That has to be the issue, but I think a server-side update caused this bug. Google engineers would have to fix this. There's no user-end fix to this.

Nthn4
Community Member

It’s so frustrating isn’t it. Hopefully there are engineers working towards a resolution to fix this issue. Seems like we need more clout for this issue to become a known incident to the google technical engineers. Does anyone have info on how to raise this further?? 

Cheers

Hembrey
Community Member

I have the same problem that seems to have started just in the last few weeks. I turn off certain devices when I’m home and turn on certain devices when I leave it used to work great and now it’s not working at all.

I have presents sensing turned on, allowing this home to use locations and using “this phone”. Neither the “home” or “away” button light up. I can select either but it has zero effect on my automations.

Nthn4
Community Member

Hi mate. After 9 months of faffing around, I was ready for giving up. I wasn’t getting anywhere with any Google techies. I ended up sussing this out myself. For some reason mine Household Routines had randomly changed to personal routines and weren’t acting on my phone / device location. I ended up deleting them all and starting again, which give me the option of ‘Household Routines’ based on location. Hopefully this helps. If you need anything else, reach out. 

ImNotANestUser
Community Member

I don't use presence sensing any more.  For me, it just doesn't work.  Further, I don't think Google really cares about the Google Home app.  

So, I'm slowly moving to Android's Modes and Routines along with SmartThings.  Things like Geolocation work much better.