cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thermostat doesn't have enough power for Wi-Fi

RPGR90s
Community Member

I'm away from home and I noticed this message on my Iphone Nest App yesterday. "Thermostat doesn't have enough power for Wi-Fi" . I can't set the thermostat now. The model is: Display-3.4.

When I left my home on Jan 28th, I left the thermostat at '52F. And I've been checking it daily and it's been functional.

My house is in southern Michigan, so my main concern is if the thermostat will continue to run the furnace independent of it being connected to Wi-Fi. I'm 850 miles away and won't return until May and there's a few months of winter and cold temperatures left.

I have another Nest thermostat operating my garage furnace (same model) and it IS online, communicating and responding to my settings, so I know the network isn't the issue.

I opened up the Settings on my phone and see that the battery voltage is: 3.6 volts.

Could that be the problem?

1. Will the thermostat continue to work at the 52F setting, even though it's not connected to Wi-Fi?
  2. Is there anything I can do on my phone to get it back onlline?

1 Recommended Answer

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

1.  Yes, even if it went offline it will still follow your schedule and maintain your safety temperatures.

2.  No unfortunately. To troubleshoot this you will need to be physically with the thermostat.

The voltage will fluctuate, but it should be higher than 3.6V when it’s charging normally. I'd recommend checking your Voc, Vin, and Lin values. If those power specs are outside of their normal range,  your thermostat likely
isn’t getting enough power to charge its battery. See this help article:

Troubleshoot when your thermostat won’t turn on - Google Nest Help

Refer to the "1. Blinking red light on your thermostat" section as the advice is sound even if it hasn't got to the point where the light is blinking red.

View Recommended Answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

1.  Yes, even if it went offline it will still follow your schedule and maintain your safety temperatures.

2.  No unfortunately. To troubleshoot this you will need to be physically with the thermostat.

The voltage will fluctuate, but it should be higher than 3.6V when it’s charging normally. I'd recommend checking your Voc, Vin, and Lin values. If those power specs are outside of their normal range,  your thermostat likely
isn’t getting enough power to charge its battery. See this help article:

Troubleshoot when your thermostat won’t turn on - Google Nest Help

Refer to the "1. Blinking red light on your thermostat" section as the advice is sound even if it hasn't got to the point where the light is blinking red.

RPGR90s
Community Member

Thanks David, I appreciate your quick reply.