cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web-based Google Home App available?

ktilley
Community Member

Hello,

I have the Google Nest cam (2nd generation, indoor, wired). I am able to download the Google Home app to my cell phone and I can see live video, download video, etc. However, I am wondering if there is a way to access these same features on a PC through the web? Or an app that can be downloaded to a PC so that these features can be accessed? 

I was able to access a Nest account (not really sure what the difference is between the Nest account and the Google Home account) on my PC, but it does not show my account as having any connected devices for some reason. A friend however has been able to access her live video and recorded clips through the Nest website (home.nest.com). Anyone have similar experience? Any insights on how I can access my camera/video from a PC? Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@ktilley 

Unfortunately, the beta "Public Preview" home.google.com website has provided only live streaming access (no video history) for all 1st gen and 2nd gen Google Nest cameras and doorbells since it went live in Oct. 2022 with this announcement:

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Blog/Check-out-your-cameras-on-the-web-with-Google-Home/ba-p/...

We are all still waiting for it to have the same capabilities as the home.nest.com website (which works only on 1st gen Google Nest cameras and doorbells).

Thank you for your response. I still can't even see the live streaming video, though. It looks as if I have no devices added to my account. But I'll make due with the mobile app for now. That answered my question. Thanks!

@ktilley 

If you have 2nd gen Google Nest cameras and doorbells, when you go to the home.google.com website, you have to be logged into Google in your browser with the same Google Account you use to log onto the Google Home app.

If you have both 1st and 2nd gen Google Nest cameras and doorbells, when you go to the home.google.com website, you have to be logged into Google in your browser with the same Google Account you use to log onto BOTH the Google Nest App (using "Sign in with Google") and the Google Home app.

And in both instances, you have to be looking at the same Google Nest "home/structure" on the website as in your Google Nest app and Google Home app.

I have only the 2nd gen Google Nest camera (no doorbell). When I went to home.google.com I was logged into Google in my browser with the same Google account I use to log onto the Google Home app. My account showed up, listed under the same nickname that I have in the mobile app with all of the same info, but there is no camera listed as a device. There is only the option to add a device, no devices currently showing as connected/active. My camera is plugged in, powered on, and connected to wifi (I can see the live stream video in my mobile app), but it is still not listed in my account when I access home.google.com on the PC. 

@ktilley 

That's weird! And you're seeing the same Google Nest "home/structure" nickname at the top of the home.google.com website as you're seeing in the Google Home app? And the Google Account shown in the upper right corner of the home.google.com website is the same as what you're using for the Google Home app?  (Sorry to be repeating, but it SHOULD work.)

I agree, it is very weird. And yes, it's the same home/structure nickname and the same Google Account shown in the upper right corner. 

@ktilley 

The only other possibility that comes to mind is that you have more than one Google Nest "home/structure", with names that look alike, except that one starts or ends in a space, and one is selected in your browser and the other is selected in your Google Home app (like "XYZ" and " XYZ" [starting with a space]).