cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

assistant.command.OkGoogle ignores devices field with assistant.event.OkGoogle starter

Alphabet
Community Member

I have noticed that the OkGoogle command action will ignore the devices field when using the OkGoogle event starter. Instead it runs the command on the device that started the event.

metadata:
  name: Test OkGoogle Automations
  description: Scripted automation

automations:
  starters:
    - type: assistant.event.OkGoogle
      eventData: query
      is: Test automation two

actions:
    - type: assistant.command.OkGoogle
      okGoogle: What is the weather?
      devices: Nest Hub - Living Room
    - type: time.delay
      for: 10sec
    - type: assistant.command.OkGoogle
      okGoogle: What sound does a dog make?
      devices: Nest Hub - Bedroom

For example, if I say "Hey Google, test automation two" to the bedroom nest hub, then it will tell me what the weather is even though it should execute on the living room nest hub. Additionally, the second OkGoogle command never executes no matter what device started the automation. It seems like the script editor has issues with multiple OkGoogle events and commands in a single automation or script.

Something significant to note:

If I manually execute that script by pressing the play button at https://home.google.com/automations, then the script works flawlessly every time. 

1 Recommended Answer

Prafulla
Googler
Googler

Thanks for tagging @Alphabet . Your observation is spot on. Currently, the Google Assistant responds on the same device that the user interacted with for voice starters. We set this expectation in the Google Home app (see attached screenshot), but not yet in the script editor. We are taking note of this.

In parallel, we are working to give users the flexibility to use any device for voice starters as well (similar to how you already noted for the play button). 

Thank you for your continued feedback and questions. We appreciate it.

View Recommended Answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Alphabet
Community Member

Hey, @Prafulla not to bother you, but maybe you could take note of this issue as well in relation to your comment on "Multiple automations in single script sometimes breaks when using `assistant.event.OkGoo... Thank you!

Prafulla
Googler
Googler

Thanks for tagging @Alphabet . Your observation is spot on. Currently, the Google Assistant responds on the same device that the user interacted with for voice starters. We set this expectation in the Google Home app (see attached screenshot), but not yet in the script editor. We are taking note of this.

In parallel, we are working to give users the flexibility to use any device for voice starters as well (similar to how you already noted for the play button). 

Thank you for your continued feedback and questions. We appreciate it.

Ahhh, thank you for the update!