cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nest doesn't work with google home

I_playone_on_TV
Community Member

have a ticket open but can't get resolution on it.  I was getting errors on my youtube music that there were 'too many devices using my account'.  I have a bunch of speakers and smart tv's and chromecasts etc so i thought, ok fair.   Went into the google app on my account page on my macbook and signed out of a bunch of things.  Almost immediately any nest devices stopped communication with my home app and cant be re-assimilated.  I'd already migrated my nest account to google so i can't get back in there either.  My yale lock, my doorbell cam (gen2) and my thermostat are nest devices and all of those are bricked as i can't comm with them.   everything else in the house works fine, all the google devices (20+) have no issues, even the third party integrations with smart plug and light bulb vendors have no issue ONLY NEST DEVICES.   tried uninstalling / reinstalling.  tried updates , tried factory resetting devices, tried other wifi networks, other phones to set up everything. within my google home app i also can't connect to nest services on the back end either.  

support not really very helpful, just the same stuff already attempted,  but i keep asking about this in particular.  in the google home app --> settings --> works with google --> nest, i get the login page to connect to google home but i can't log in because the account had been migrated to google home and now im in an endless loop of not being able to connect nest devices.  is there any way anyone knows of that can UN-migrate my google nest account from google home BACK to nest?  seems that this is what completely broke all my nest products and i don't see a resolution without fixing that piece

3 REPLIES 3

Steveradams
Community Member

Unfortunately there is no way to in migrate. And on top of that for example there are so many products that are unsupported. For example recently they sent out a notice saying they aren’t going to support users of dropcam and dropcam pro. And in just a few months they won’t allow the cameras to be operational on our nest accounts. I personally have 11 of these cameras deployed on my network, now I’m being left unsupported with no migration plan or even a credit to purchase new cameras that are still supported. We made a decision the other day to pull our google products form our home automation eco system and go with more open and nonproprietary devices. I run millions of dollars of IT equipment at my workplace and we won’t be investing in any Google devices going forward. Too risky. 

I_playone_on_TV
Community Member

Fixed it by creating a new home and deleting the old one.  Many option changes and differences including "leave home" vs "delete home". I've had it for a very long time and I think the "old" version was deprecated but we just weren't informed to the point where nest devices disappeared post migration and creating a new home the only way to integrate.  Everything now running smoothly again. If this fixes your issues as well be warned you'll have to manually migrate all devices into the new home (my original home was named "home" and possibly contributed to the issues in the underlying migration).  "Works with" plugs, bulbs, etc all migrated with an account reconnect, native Google devices (chrome casts, minis, etc) needed factory resets as new home invitations didn't exist after creating a new "home" (with a different name than home).  Took some cycles but everything back except rain bird sprinkler system as the connection to Google home third party and thier change to user authentication not compatible.  (DM me for more details tldr here).

Hi folks,

@I_playone_on_TV, thanks for reaching out and for being a step ahead of us. I'm sorry for the delay. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and experiences. We apologize for the inconvenience you encountered. It’s never our intention to cause frustration or disappointment. I'm glad that it all sorted out. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns, by creating a new thread, as we'll be willing to assist you from there. 

I appreciate the input, @Steveradams.

Best,

Jenelyn