cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heat Sensor for Garage

rswenson11
Community Member

We just completed the construction of our new home in Washington state and installed Google Nest Protect smoke detectors throughout the house.  When we went to receive our final, the inspector called out our builder for not installing a heat sensor in the garage.  Apparently this is a new requirement that the building inspector did not catch when they did the wiring inspection, the electrician did not catch or our builder did not catch.   They did not wire for it.   From reading in the community comments, it appears that there is no way to use the existing Google Nest Protect smoke detectors we purchased with either a 3rd party wired or wireless heat detector.  I am reaching out to the Google Nest Community page to get a confirmation of this before we replace these.  

4 REPLIES 4

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@rswenson11 

We don't have Nest Protects, but don't they include a heat sensor?

Heat sensor

Heat sensor enables Nest Protect to detect sudden rises in temperature.

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9251133

A heat sensor allows Nest Protect to detect sudden rises in temperature. If Nest Protect senses a rapid rise in temperature, it becomes more sensitive to smoke. You get an earlier alert, and more time, to handle an emergency.

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9251134

They apparently do, but no details on Google's website about how they work.  The bigger issue is that they recommend the smoke detectors not to be installed in a garage due to temperature swings and false CO2 alarms due to the exhaust.  I might just install one anyway

@rswenson11 

I forgot about that aspect (not installing smoke detectors/carbon monoxide detectors) in garages.  We have a detached garage and our home is 95 years old, so I'd never heard of the heat sensor requirement. The Nest Protect in your garage might have false alarms.

toby_wan_kenoby
Community Member

Do we have any information what temps the heat sensor is sensitive to. I have 5x Tesla PowerWalls installed in my garage. The inspector requires a heat sensor due to the batteries. I would like to add a 2nd Gen Home Protect but have no info on the heat sensing functionality to give to the inspector.