cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with nest doorbell and password reset

Stouty
Community Member

I have a wired nest doorbell camera. I used to sign in with a Hotmail account.

Foolishly I decided to finally migrate to my Google account. Now when I sign into nest with my Google account, no products are paired. When I try to pair the camera to the Google account in the nest app it says the camera is still linked to another account (even after a factory rest, which can't be a factory reset if it remembers an old account right????). Now when I try to log into my old Hotmail account in nest, it says account / password not recognised.  When I try for an password reset email it never arrives, despite trying several times. I have also tried uninstalling the nest app and installing it again...no luck. Its so frustrating,  why are these products so difficult to use!  I have the same issue with my thermostat.....

1 Recommended Answer

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@Stouty 

We migrated from a Nest Account to a Google Account in 2020. Unless there are errors during the migration, you simply log into the Google Nest app using the "Sign in with Google" option, using the Google Account to which you migrated.

If the migration is successful, you can no longer use the "Sign in with Nest" option in the Google Nest app, which is why you'd get an account/password not recognized error.

Are you sure you are logging into the Google Nest app using the Google Account to which you migrated? Are you accessing the same Google Nest "home/structure" you were using before migrating?

You could try reviewing the Help topic below, including the details in the "I don't see all my homes or devices in the apps" topic:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9297676?hl=en&sjid=14447878679589116925-NC#troubleshoot...

View Recommended Answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@Stouty 

We migrated from a Nest Account to a Google Account in 2020. Unless there are errors during the migration, you simply log into the Google Nest app using the "Sign in with Google" option, using the Google Account to which you migrated.

If the migration is successful, you can no longer use the "Sign in with Nest" option in the Google Nest app, which is why you'd get an account/password not recognized error.

Are you sure you are logging into the Google Nest app using the Google Account to which you migrated? Are you accessing the same Google Nest "home/structure" you were using before migrating?

You could try reviewing the Help topic below, including the details in the "I don't see all my homes or devices in the apps" topic:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9297676?hl=en&sjid=14447878679589116925-NC#troubleshoot...

Thank you for taking the time to help!

When I logged into nest with my Google account no devices were on there. However I just tried again and they are there now! Not sure what happened, maybe it takes a while to migrate? Anyway, all's well that ends well!

Many thanks again....

Okay so actually it looks like it hasn't migrated? I sign into nest using sign in with Google using my Gmail account.

In the nest app it says I can migrate to Google.  When I try to migrate I get a message saying my Google.account is already linked to a nest product!

I just don't get it....so confusing....

@Stouty 

I don't know why you are able to sign into the Google Nest app using the "Sign in with Google" option but you are also getting a "Migrate to a Google Account" option; that shouldn't be possible. According to Google Nest, the "Migrate to a Google Account" option should NOT appear if you have migrated, AND if you can sign into the Google Nest app using the "Sign in with Google" option, then your account has been migrated.

You could try deleting and reinstalling the Google Nest app, and see if that makes a difference.  If you have the Google Nest app installed on multiple devices, you could do that on each device.

You could review the "Detailed instructions" and the "Video instructions" in the link I provided earlier (https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9297676) to see if you performed the steps documented there; perhaps something went wrong during the migration.

If neither of those helps, you could try contacting Support:

1. Go to https://support.google.com/googlenest/gethelp.
2. Select a category/product family, and type in a brief description of the issue, then click "Next".
3. Click "Other", then click "Next step".
4. Under "Resources", just click "Next step". (Clicking one of the listed links will bring up a Help page page.)
5. Under "Contact options", choose to get a phone call or chat with the team, depending on availability in your country.