cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Compatability

Chad9883
Community Member

20231011_183048.jpg

 hi all,  I bought the nest learning thermostat on a whim. The compatability checker online isn't making since to me. Here is my current thermostat wiring. Will the learning thermostat work or should I be returning it? 

1 Recommended Answer

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Your system is a basic Heating and Cooling system. Your wires are as follows:

R - Red Wire, goes to Nest Rc

W - White Wire, goes to Nest W1.

Y - Yellow Wire, goes to Nest Y1.

G - Green Wire, goes to Nest G.

It looks like you have a blue wire not used.  This should be used for the Common. You need to make sure that the blue wire is indeed connected to the power common in the furnace.  

AC Cooling Wizard

NestPro, Google Pro, Mechanical Engineer and HVAC service company owner.
If my answer solved your problem, click Recommend this Answer below, and If it helped you, please give a Kudo.

View Recommended Answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Your system is a basic Heating and Cooling system. Your wires are as follows:

R - Red Wire, goes to Nest Rc

W - White Wire, goes to Nest W1.

Y - Yellow Wire, goes to Nest Y1.

G - Green Wire, goes to Nest G.

It looks like you have a blue wire not used.  This should be used for the Common. You need to make sure that the blue wire is indeed connected to the power common in the furnace.  

AC Cooling Wizard

If my answer solved your problem, click Recommend this Answer below, and If it helped you, please give a Kudo.

• Thank you. Here is a picture of the terminal at the furnace. It looks like there is a red wire on the C terminal. Would I leave that there and add the blue wire? Also when I put my electrical tester on the C terminal, it's showing not hot. Is that right? 

20231018_181045.jpg

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

@Chad9883 , that is a basic terminal strip.  It will is rather dirty with dust and lint so I cannot see a wire on the C terminal. Notice the yellow wire in the blue wire nut is the compressor relay control. There is no terminal labeled Y.  If you follow the wire attached to Yellow, you should find another wire with it, the second wire  will be attached to Common. 

AC Cooling Wizard