cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

E89 error: Y/Y2, no Y1 wire. Nest App said connect Y2 -> Y1 port, but cooling does not work :(

austindavid
Community Member

My original thermostat has a Y2 wire, but no Y1: see attached.

Nest app said to plug into the Y1 terminal, and the "technical info" etc finds all the wires, reports cooling + heat + stg2 heat as expected, and heat + fan work fine.  But cooling doesn't work, it just seems to blow fan-air or possibly warm air.

Running the troubleshooting and in the cooling area it goes to E89, which doesn't have docs 😞

To be sure, I put the old thermostat back up and cooling works fine.  Nest doesn't report any other errors; it seems to be getting power fine and otherwise behaves.

1 Recommended Answer

austindavid
Community Member

i figured it out; the system is a heat pump and the wire was actually an O.  I traced back to the source and hooked it up correctly, all is well.

View Recommended Answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

@austindavid , the Y1 and Y2 are the Compressor Stage 1 and Stage 2 cooling.  The E89 error is reported when there is a wire attached to Y2 and no wire is detected in Y1.  You cannot have Stage 2 without a Stage 1 wire.  Please post a picture of your Nest Thermostat backplate so I can see the wires that are attached.  Thank you. 

AC Cooling Wizard

NestPro, Google Pro, Mechanical Engineer and HVAC service company owner. If my answer solved your problem, click Recommend this Answer below, and If it helped you, please give a Kudo.

austindavid
Community Member

i figured it out; the system is a heat pump and the wire was actually an O.  I traced back to the source and hooked it up correctly, all is well.