cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Is my thermostat compatible with Google Nest ?

hgon23
Community Member

Here is the photo of my current wiring

This forum does not allow uploading photos ... 

12 REPLIES 12

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

@hgon23 ,

Your thermostat appears to only have two wires attached.  A green conductor is attached to the C terminal and and a white conductor attached to the R terminal.  This does nothing but power the thermostat itself.  It controls not equipment. lastly once you validate your email you will then be able to post pictures here.  

AC Cooling Wizard 

NestPro, Google Pro, Mechanical Engineer and HVAC service company owner.
If my answer solved your problem, click Recommend this Answer below, and If it helped you, please give a Kudo.

Rc and R appears to be connected as wellwiring2.jpgwiring.jpg

@Coop 

Are you suggesting that my current HoneyWell thermostat does nothing ?

The furnance and Heat pump does appear to be controlled by the thermostat; they start operating when the temperature drops below the set threshold and stop when the temperature reaches the set value.

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

@hgon23 

Your system might be using a RedLink interface and remotely controlling your HVAC equipment.  If this indeed the the setup, it will not be compatible with a Nest.

AC Cooling Wizard

AC Cooling Wizard 

If my answer solved your problem, click Recommend this Answer below, and If it helped you, please give a Kudo.

Looks like it has a Honeywell EIMEIM2.jpgScreenshot 2023-12-13 at 11.32.44 AM.jpgEIM3.jpgScreenshot 2023-12-13 at 11.41.29 AM.jpg

hgon23
Community Member

So I guess I have to "bypass" it

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

@hgon23 , if you want to go to a more traditional system control, you would have to have a seven conductor thermostat cable installed between your thermostat location and the equipment. This may prove difficult and that’s why the contractor probably use the Honeywell RedLink system. This uses a high power Bluetooth technology.  This eliminates the needs for installing a new thermostat cable in order to utilize more advanced HVAC equipment.  

AC Cooling Wizard

@CoolingWizard 

Roughly how much does it cost to get a HVAC perfessional to install the Google Nest thermostat for me ? I live in Bellevue WA area.

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

First of all, you would need them to install a new thermostat cable between the thermostat location and the indoor air handler/furnace.  I recommend a 10 conductor, 18 gage,  thermostat cable.  This will be the most expensive part of the project. Once the new thermostat cable is installed you can proceed with the installation of the Nest Thermostat.

The HVAC 10 conductor Thermostat cable typically contains:

Red, White, Yellow, Green, Orange, Black, Blue, Gray, Brown, and violet colored wires. We install the cable to the thermostat with Red on R or Rc, White on W/W1, Yellow on Y/Y1, Orange on O/B, Blue on C. 
No thermostat in the world knows the color of the wire. The key is what color a terminal at the thermostat you put the same on the air handler.  So red on R makes sense. 

Do you think you could install a new cable in your home? 

AC Cooling Wizard

>> Do you think you could install a new cable in your home? 

What if I don't mind installing the Nest thermostat on the same spot of the EIM. Do I still need to install a new cable ?

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

@hgon23 , if you do not wish to install a new thermostat cable.  You could take the approach to install the Nest thermostat in the basement however, you would need to also purchase a Nest Remote Temperature sensor to be placed upstairs.  Otherwise the basement location of the Nest thermostat becomes the location of the temperature sensors.  

The ideal situation would be to put in a new thermostat cable between the thermostat location and the EIM furnace location.  

AC Cooling Wizard

CoolingWizard
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

@hgon23 , The EIM is the RedLink Equipment Interface Module.  This attaches to the Air Handler/Furnace like a thermost normally would. The RedLink compatible thermostat communicates with the EIM using high power Bluetooth.  

AC Cooling Wizard