cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nest Thermostat shows offline on app but shows connected on device

prhandley
Community Member

Hi all:

I know this question has been asked before but I can't find an answer wich fixes my problem.

I have just upgraded to full fibre broadband with sky and ever since, my Nest thermostat keeps randomly and frequently showing offline in the Nest app but on the thermostat display it shows as connected.  The new sky router is only 3 metres away from the thermo and I have tried all the usual fixes such as turning off thermo, resetting it, removing it from my Home and re-adding it, changing wireless networks, rebooting router, uninstalling and reinstalling the Android app, disconnecting all DECT phones, updating software/firmware, removing any metal objects close by etc etc - in other words tried everything!

Has anyone got a suggestion please?  All the "techy" from Google could suggest was buying a new thermo - but it worked fine before the new router was installed so don't feel like lashing out as that may not be the issue.  And by the way - all my other networked devices work flawlessly either hard wired or wifi so it's not the router at fault.

HELP please....

Thanks

1 Recommended Answer

prhandley
Community Member

Fixed the issue.  Moved router far away from Nest Thermo (higher floor and opposite corner of house).  Plugged DECT phone base station in to router - now no false offline notifications on app.  Not sure if router was too close, or whether it was DECT phones conflicting, or a combination but whichever it was the issue is now resolved.  Happy Bunny!!!!

View Recommended Answer in original post

15 REPLIES 15

prhandley
Community Member

PS - the thermo also shows as offline in the web app on windows at home.nest.com/thermostat

This could be a ipv6 issue or 5mhz issue. Have you tried turning 5mhz of first, then try turning of ipv6?

prhandley
Community Member

Hi:

Thanks for your reply - I haven't tried either of the two suggestions - but with my previos Sky router I had 5 Ghz enabled and the thermo worked fine.  Also now that I have fibre broadband I have to use voip and I am sure someone told me that this requires IPv6 to work?  I am not a techy expert so please correct me if I am wrong...

Thanks again

I don't know, but process of elimination, stop the 2 functions and if all works that's your problem. Neither of those solve the issue, we move on to another solution.

Hi again:

Tried both of those options but still the issue persists.  The strange thing is that all my other wifi devices work absolutely fine and don't drop connection!  Also as I said earlier the Nest thermo is working fine manually and is always connected to wifi - it's just the app/web app which shows it as offline and won't communicate.  Aaaargh!!!!

When you turned both of and rebooted the router, did you also remove the app restart the device and the install app again? I assume your connected direct to the router and not a hub, mesh etc.?

I assume you have tried removing the app from your device and install on another device, and tried that? Don’t forget also to remove the stat from your account, so you start from fresh. 

Another idea, can you install the old router and see if that still links?

Again process of elimination

Hi:

Thanks again for persevering 🙂 with me...

I had previously uninstalled the app but didn't do after blocking IPv6 and 5 Ghz - I might try that again.  I also have tried the app on a secondary device and got the same issue, plus when logging in through a web browser to my Nest account I get the same issues as with the app.  If I try changing the temperature on the app/web the change reflects in both.

Unfortunately I had to return the old router - but did hook up another older router as a wireless access point using an ethernet cable from the new router (with a distinctive SSID) located in a different area and still got random and frequent drop-outs!

The weird thing is that the thermo actually works and performs to the schedules I have set - just can't get it to talk to the app!

I'm now thinking that I'll have to lash out and get a Nest Pro to come and have a look.

Thanks again for your help

Cheers

This is very odd, and everything points to the router talking to the mobile device.

Have you tried hotspotting the Nest to your mobile device so you are on your mobile network,  then logging in via to the app from another device? That would eliminate the house wifi and router. You could also connect the Nest to a neighbours wifi, and see if that works.

prhandley
Community Member

Hi. Good ideas... I'll give them a try...thanks 👍

Did you find the problem? I’m having same issue however I have not changed or updated my router/ service . Just all of a sudden started showing off line in the app randomly on two thermostats

No I haven't yet found a solution...still working on it.

My nest app updated about 5 weeks ago to 5.76.1 about the time my problem started 

prhandley
Community Member

That's about the time my issues started...not at home at the moment so can't check my version number but thanks for the info.

prhandley
Community Member

Fixed the issue.  Moved router far away from Nest Thermo (higher floor and opposite corner of house).  Plugged DECT phone base station in to router - now no false offline notifications on app.  Not sure if router was too close, or whether it was DECT phones conflicting, or a combination but whichever it was the issue is now resolved.  Happy Bunny!!!!

Danc5847
Community Member

For what it’s worth after trying everything I decided to leave my app running on the phone in background instead of closing it. Been two days now with no off lines. I know I shouldn’t have to do this and the problem has to be with the app or google servers but this seems to be a patch for now since google can’t or won’t figure it out.