cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

New Wifi mesh router crashed Google Nest Thermostats

RJM
Community Member

Upgraded to a mesh router and set it up with the same SSID and password as the previous network.  The wifi devices (phone, laptops, printers, security cameras) will work, but they required to be set up using the same SSID and password.  Mesh router is operating only on 2.4 GHz band.

My Google Nest Thermostats and Google Home app refuse to work on the mesh network and I've tried many "solutions",  The Nest Thermostats worked perfectly on the previous wifi router but now act as if they're bricked, As a troubleshooting move, one of the thermostats was removed/deleted from the Home app.  Now, its screen is locked on a rotating language message, "Continue setup in the Google Home app."

Even after deleting and reinstalling the Google Home app on my Google Pixel phone, the home app will not recognize the ailing thermostat or the other nest thermostats.  There's no "+" option in the uppoer left hand corner of the app as some posts have suggested to add a device.  When I installed the Nest app, it doesn't recognize the thermostat's QR code that's printed on the back.

I would like to think that a factory reset of the locked thermostat would solve the problem, but the thermostat doesn't respond to presses on the side button/slider.

Any suggestions or help to solve this problem would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Which model of thermostat do you have?

How to tell which Nest thermostat you have - Google Nest Help

RJM
Community Member

David,

The product box describes it as the "Google Nest Thermostat", the color is snow with the mirrored face.  It's not the higher-priced learning model.  The SKU on the box reads GA01334-US.  I suspect that the problem may be the settings of the new mesh Wi-Fi network that I installed on Friday.  The Google Home app doesn't recognize the thermostats.

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

RJM
Community Member

David,

Yes, I tried those steps, however the problem persisted.  There's a workaround, I discovered, that allowed the Google Home app to add a thermostat device.  Using a spare non-mesh Wi-Fi router, I created a new SSID network and logged in on my phone.  The Google Home app worked as designed, allowing the device (Google Thermostat) to be added.  When the process asked for a network, I added the mesh network name and password which were accepted.  Obviously, this is a clumsy process of adding devices to Google Home, but it worked.  My guess is that the TP-Link Deco S4 mesh Wi-Fi network, or the way I have it configured, doesn't interact well with the Google Home app on my Android phone.  This may be something to pass along to your software engineers.

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

The best way to get that feedback to Google is to turn on device reports and send it via the Google Home app. To be clear, product experts don't work for Google, just a volunteer user 🙂 

Share feedback about Google Nest - Google Nest Help