cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding multiple nest wifi routers.

Ncorraine
Community Member

Hello, I'm new to the community but not new to the Google ecosystem. Recently I upgraded my old Google wifi to a newer nest wifi system, not the pro. I purchased a 3 pack (router and 2 points) and 2 separate Nest routers. I purchased the Nest routers separately because they were cheaper than the points, and I didn't need a speaker assistant where I was putting them. I set up the 3 pack and that went completely fine. But when I try to add the 2 other Nest routers, they don't connect. I am doing the exact same thing I did with the 3 pack, the app recognizes the router to set up, I scan the QR code and wait for it to connect to router... Everytime I try it just sits there trying to connect, I had it once connect after 10 mins, but then stall out on the next step of adding it to my mesh network. Is there something special with using the Nest routers as points? Or is it not possible? I quickly Google searched it before I purchased and it seemed to be able to work. Any info would be great! 

1 REPLY 1

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Try these steps:

1. Power off your modem or modem/router combo.
  2. Power off all your routers and points.
  3. Wait 30 seconds (no seriously, it sounds slightly strange I know).
  4. Power on your modem and wait for it to fully power on.
  5. Power on just your primary router and wait for it to fully power on,
  6. Power on 1 of your troublesome additional routers.
  7. If the LED isn't slowly pulsing white, use the physical button on the device to factory reset it.
  8. Follow the "Add a point or an additional router" in the "Set up your Nest Wifi router" section of this help article.

If you still experience issues:

1. Factory reset your current primary router.
  2. Retry setup with the troublesome routers to see if they will successfully setup as the primary router.

Occasionally, this allows the device to download a firmware update which has been known to resolve some of these issues.