cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Can I connect a pair of Nest Wifi Pros between two houses 100 feet apart?

JoeChristy
Community Member

Can I connect a pair of Nest Wifi Pros between two houses 100 feet apart?

1 Recommended Answer

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @JoeChristy 

At that range, I would not expect the 6GHz mesh interconnect to be reliable. Connecting them with an Ethernet cable would be possible – this is just an example of wiring a secondary/point back to the primary/router unit, but with extra long cables. If you can't run a wire or fiber, you might also take a look at some products designed to support wireless connections at longer distances. These use directional antennas, and have to be aimed during setup and mounted to ensure the retain their orientation. They are more expensive, and more complex to set up, but I know some people have had success using them to get an "effective" Ethernet link between two buildings. Once you have that, adding a wired secondary/point Nest WiFi Pro unit would be similar to connecting it via Ethernet.

View Recommended Answer in original post

1 REPLY 1

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @JoeChristy 

At that range, I would not expect the 6GHz mesh interconnect to be reliable. Connecting them with an Ethernet cable would be possible – this is just an example of wiring a secondary/point back to the primary/router unit, but with extra long cables. If you can't run a wire or fiber, you might also take a look at some products designed to support wireless connections at longer distances. These use directional antennas, and have to be aimed during setup and mounted to ensure the retain their orientation. They are more expensive, and more complex to set up, but I know some people have had success using them to get an "effective" Ethernet link between two buildings. Once you have that, adding a wired secondary/point Nest WiFi Pro unit would be similar to connecting it via Ethernet.