Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capped at 100Mbps wired after upgrading from Nest Wifi to Nest Wifi Pro

RabidHobbut
Community Member

Hi, here is my setup:

Modem (not router combo) > Wifi Pro router > unmanaged switch > Windows PC

When I was using my Google Nest Wifi router in this configuration, I had no issues. Today I upgraded to a Nest Wifi Pro and now everything on the switch is capped at 100 Mbps. The router itseld and wifi connectivity does not have this cap.

I'm using all of the same cat 6 cables and switch that I used with my Nest Wifi. The only thing I changed out was the router.

I've already tried the troubleshooting tips from this thread, but it didn't resolve the issue:

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Nest-Wifi/Only-getting-100MBs-with-Google-Wifi-all-APs-Wired/... 

I also tried moving cables around to differnt ports on the switch, but the issue is on all of them. All ports are 1Gb both ways, though.

Switch: NetGear GS108

Modem: Spectrum PC15 D3.1 eMTA DOCSIS 3.1 Advanced Voice Modem

I suspect that the Wifi Pro is simply not compatible with some equipment out there and that I need to initiate a return, but it would be great to have confirmation. Or maybe if it is known that the switch is what it's not compatible with, perhaps I could find another one to replace this.

1 Recommended Answer

RabidHobbut
Community Member

I have now solved my issue. I have 2 flat, black cat6 cables that are identical in appearance and length, except what's printed on them. One goes from the switch to my PC, the other goes from the switch to my security system.

When I had set up the new router, I must have switched these two cables without noticing, because after swapping them out now, I'm no longer capped in speed on my PC. I figured this out when I bypassed the switch and was able to get 500 Mbps.

View Recommended Answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Jonis326
Community Member

Just wait until you run into the port forwarding problems with wired connections. Its super fun.

RabidHobbut
Community Member

I have now solved my issue. I have 2 flat, black cat6 cables that are identical in appearance and length, except what's printed on them. One goes from the switch to my PC, the other goes from the switch to my security system.

When I had set up the new router, I must have switched these two cables without noticing, because after swapping them out now, I'm no longer capped in speed on my PC. I figured this out when I bypassed the switch and was able to get 500 Mbps.