cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Connecting and using Google nest wifi in another mesh network

Deejay10000bc
Community Member

My current smart home is setup and connected to nest wifi mesh. 

But the 1 gbps wifi network speed is clogging up due to many number of smart home devices. 

I recently signed up for a 10gbps Internet but since Google nest wifi can't handle it I'd like to setup another (preferable Asus) mesh that support 6gbps wifi.

But I do not want to reconfigure the whole smart home again. So I would like to still keep the Google nest mesh. 

When I setup 2 different mesh using 2 different ports on my modem, the Internet gets messed. Because the 2 routers are fighting for same IP or something. 

So I'd like to setup Asus as the primary mesh. And looking to connect the Google nest mesh primary device to one of its 1gbps Lan ports and continue to have 2 mesh networks. 

Will this work? Could you assist on how to setup Google nest mesh for this? 

3 REPLIES 3

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Your ISP will only give you 1 public IP address, so that's why you cannot connect more than 1 router to your modem. Strictly speaking you can do what you suggested, but it really is likely to cause you more problems than it's worth and is not recommended. 

Modem → Asus router → Nest Wifi router → Points

1. Modem's LAN port connects to Asus router WAN port over wired Ethernet.
  2. Asus router's LAN port connects to Nest Wifi router's WAN port over wired Ethernet.
  3. Nest Wifi router's LAN port connects to any Nest Wifi point WAN port over wired Ethernet.

With this configuration, you're highly likely to run into something called Double NAT, That means a device connected to your Asus network will have a difficult time communicating with devices connected to your Nest Wifi network and vice versa. You'd then need to look at putting your Asus router in bridge mode. Suffice to say this is definitely not recommended, it creates problems for real time applications, such as online gaming, or things that need port forwarding and UPNP. Strictly speaking, there are other workarounds for this too but they're complex.

At the end of the day, it sounds like you're struggling with Wifi coverage, as opposed to speed, because a 1 Gbps network connection is more then capable. That kind of speed can handle hundreds of connected devices. 

You would be much better advised to get more Nest Wifi points (up to 5 recommended) and ensure the mesh tests shows a good connection for them all. If that's not possible, you can look at hardwiring them.

Hardwire Nest Wifi Pro, Nest Wifi or Google Wifi with Ethernet - Google Nest Help

How big is your home and how many Nest Wifi points do you currently have?

Useful guidance you might not have seen:

How many Nest Wifi Pro, Nest Wifi or Google Wifi routers or points do I need? - Google Nest Help
Where to place your Wifi devices - Google Nest Help
Test mesh connection - Google Nest Help

Thank you for the reply. 

I have 4 total Nest wifi , 1 main and 3 hardwired to the main via a switch. 

It says coverage and connection is good since its all hardwired. 

But the Internet struggles to load most of the time and I believe it could be due to all the Google cameras around plus the smart home stuff. 

Anyway I am wasting away at a 10Gbps connection using a nest wifi mesh which is limited to 1Gbps. 

But I still love the convenience of Nest wifi with my smart home running on it. 

So trying to find a way to keep it active 

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Have you tried changing your DNS?
Change your DNS server - Google Nest Help

I recommend Cloudflare's DNS (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1):
1.1.1.1 — the Internet’s Fastest, Privacy-First DNS Resolver