cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Nest disconnects from Internet when Wifi name is using special characters

midlifekryz
Community Member

I had setup my Wifi network with a single emoji character to look cool and the Nest was constantly disconnecting from the Internet. After I changed my wifi name from character sequence 0xE2 0x98 0xA0, or U+2620, to a regular alphanumeric string without emoji the problem went away. Google Nest is crashing on the special characters sequence in the Wifi name, probably each time it tries to renew the IP lease. This is most likely a bug in the Google Nest software. 

3 REPLIES 3

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @midlifekryz 

Could you help clarify which Nest product you are referring to? Nest Thermostat, or Nest WiFi? Or something else? I want to make sure this gets escalated in the right spot. Thanks

midlifekryz
Community Member

This is posted under Google Nest Community --> Wifi. It's the Nest Wifi

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Ok, but the reason I ask is because you mention a device getting disconnected when it tries to renew the IP lease (which is a layer above WiFi), which is something clients do. So, I'm trying to figure out exactly what type of client device and exactly what type of WiFi network device you're using. Just trying to get this clear before escalating it.