cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest WiFi Pro wired connection is about 10% of what it was on Nest WiFi

junton
Community Member

So, my WiFi Pro arrived today and I was really excited to get it setup. I set everything up using the Google Home app and downloaded the updates. I have a fiber gigabit connection from my provider and their most recent modem. My wired connections are pegged to about 90Mbps. My Nest WiFi (non Pro) was getting 900+Mbps wired.

My troubleshooting has been the following:

• Restart the Nest WiFi Pro network
  • Restart the modem
  • Restart all switches
  • Reboot the hard wired computers

My Nest WiFi Pro is in DHCP WAN mode and connected directly to the 10Gbps ethernet port on my modem. I am using a mix of CAT 5 and CAT 6 cabling and my switches are all gigabit or higher.

Plugging the old Nest WiFi (non Pro) back in yields 900+Mbps on wired connections.

I think something is wrong

744 REPLIES 744

WarpedTrekker
Community Member

I'm having speed issues too. Upgraded from 3-pack Nest WiFi to 3-pack Pro. WiFi speeds are poor for all my devices. I have ATT 1Gb Fiber, using their newest gateway BGW320, configured in Passthru mode. All filters on it turned off, firewall off. I did have to configure ports for xbox and ps5 on it otherwise would get Double NAT, which I never got with the original Nest WiFi.

The built-in google speed test in the app shows I'm getting up to 950Mb speeds. My Xbox wired gets up to 1Gb download. But my WiFi 6e devices, like my Samsung S21 Ultra+ and XPS 13+ all get poor wifi speeds. I run speed test and can't even get 300Mb download! I get more than that on my phone using T-Mobile 5G! What is going on with this stuff? It's going back to Google in a few days unless they release a fix for this issue.

Having exact same issues as you.  Same At&t service and hardware.  Please let me know if you get this remedied and I'll also post if I find a fix.

Wxrbs
Community Member

I'm having the same issues on PPPoE with BT, 55Mbps tops when I get 950Mbps on my ISP provided router. Gone back to my old setup, I'll be returning it if there's no firmwware update to fix it in a week or so.

Jubei
Community Member

Exactly the same! Switched from nest wifi to nest wifi pro a couple times and nest wifi still trumps this. Even mesh connection strength is just good on the pro whilst on nest wifi it's great..as much as I'd like 6e not ready to compromise stability. Packing it up

Mike30
Community Member

Google.have said they are investigating a potential bug affecting UK users. This was via support DM on twitter 

Doesn't just affect UK. I'm in US and the speed between points is slow. At the main router if I connect to 6Ghz it is fine. Otherwise my WiFi 6e devices are steered to 2.4 or 5ghz for some reason and get like 50 to 100mb only through the points. Did a point speed test and it shows slow speeds. 

JKH5199
Community Member

I too have same issue on Nest WiFi pro. . Talked with Google, they sent my issue to an engineer. Probably not going to do anything. I’ll give it a week or 2, then I’m returning 

Mike30
Community Member

If it's a PPPoE big rather than something specific to the UK supplied models then we stand a chance of getting a fix. If it's UK models only then we have no chance

Dazzle282
Community Member

PPPoe and stuck under 100mbps for upload and download, the old router gets 900mbps down and 107up.

sliyk
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

Glad I found this thread

I just got the 3 pack today from amazon. And glad I got it from amazon because they put up less of a fuss if you return these.
Also on BT 900mb and not getting anything above 50mps on my pixel 7 pro
not getting anything above 50-60 on a wired connected laptop
googles own home app speed test showing only 200mb internal which only equates to 50mb usable speed. 
All the excitement (which my family think I am crazy to be this excited for a new router) gone down the drain.

krroller
Community Member

I've got this exact same issue.  I installed the Nest Wifi Pro 3 pack to replace my Nest Wifi (where I was 3 routers to get a wired backhaul) and my download speeds are half of what the old system was and my upload speeds are about 1/10th of what they were.  The app shows a wired connection for the backhaul as a "great connection", but the speeds are dismal.   This is not an upgrade at all.

PatrickP_Viking
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

I upgraded today from the original Google Wifi mesh to the Nest Wifi Pro and I don't believe there is an actual speed issue, just a speed test issue.

I did several speed tests via the Google Home app on my Pixel 6 Pro and also on my Chromebook before switching out the devices and everything was normal. After swapping out everything and getting it set up, I performed the same tests on both devices and was getting higher speeds so I was pleased to say the least. An hour or two later I started seeing similar results with some showing less than 1 Mbps download and upload staying normal (didn't make sense) BUT something wasn't adding up...

At the time, there were 37 devices connected and over half are cameras with full HD or better streaming constantly. There were also two TVs streaming HD via streaming services and my Chromebook streaming a third...but nothing was buffering or quality being affected so I decided to do a side-by-side-by-side speed test. I had the Google Home app open on the Chromebook and Speedtest.net via Chrome and the Home app open on my phone. I ran all three tests as close to simultaneously as possible and the real issue showed - the Home apps were showing download speeds of 0-24 Mbps but Speedtest.net was showing the 400-450 Mbps I normally see. This was repeated several times over an hour with the same results. Eventually the Home app started showing almost identical results as Speedtest.net but started the fluctuation again even though there was no change in Speedtest.net.

I honestly think the issue is just a bug in the speed test on the Home app running with the Nest Wifi Pro and not anything to do with the Nest Wifi Pro itself. There is absolutely no way that I could pull the bandwidth I do and not even see a glitch in HD+ performance if the numbers I was seeing were true. I had the GF do the same tests using her Pixel 5 with the Home app and Speedtest.net through the Chrome app and she was able to reproduce my results.

I'd suggest to try doing the same tests I did, especially if you are not seeing any bandwidth issues even though the speed test in the Home app is showing low speeds. A bug with the speed test in the app doesn't affect the Nest Wifi Pro's performance, it just looks like it which isn't a reason to return the device(s).

Hope this gives some pause to the panic and discontent I've been reading.

Mate I cant seem to get download speeds of more than 5 Megabytes per second on a gigbit connection. So its not just speed tests. in fact it was the lower download speed that got me thinking something is up

Sorry you are still having issues but I still personally don't see where the Nest Wifi Pro is the issue, at least in my case.

If the Home app is showing the speeds that you noted but you are not having any degradation in streaming quality then the Nest Wifi Pro isn't likely the reason.  While I admit that there could be some devices that are malfunctioning, it doesn't add up if there is no performance affected on the devices connected to it. 

I'd say to try a speed test using something other than the Home app to see what the results are. If the other results are normal then the device isn't the issue since the traffic is going through the same Nest Wifi Pro for both. If the results are the same degraded on both, then reach out to your ISP to make sure there isn't something they need to adjust first before giving up on the Nest Wifi Pro; ISPs have a habit of locking down devices and/or throttling speeds when there is a change in equipment attached to their modems. I can't count the number of times I've see it over the years and it varies with providers.

Hopefully running a different speed test will bring some peace of mind. If not, please reach out to Google Support if you haven't and/or send a bug report to them.

The only different thing in my setup is the nest wifi, everything else is as is. I just packed it up and switched back to my old netgear orbi and the speeds are back up

fyi, i have tested downloading on two different xbox consoles and a NAS in addition to my pc and phone.

It's not just speed tests. 

If I try to download something on my PC, phone or Xbox it caps at 50mbps. 

If I plug in my old setup then I get a very consistent 350mbps+.

What I haven't been able to check is if I am capped at 50mbps total throughput or if each device is capped at 50mbps. I.e I could run about 7 devices downloading at 50mbps on my 350mbps connection 

Sorry mate but you are wrong. I'm glad you don't have an issue but there's plenty of us that do.

I'm not doubting that others are having issues, just suggesting that it might not be the anything wrong in some cases. I haven't seen that people are exploring all possible causes, testing to narrow down the root problem, or contacting the ISP or Google Support, although there are a few that have done some steps.

I've been in IT for 25+ years in some capacity and often times adding a new device can uncover something that is unrelated that causes issues. It's understandable to assume the last device is the problem, and it could be whether it is a missed setting or even a bad unit, but if all troubleshooting hasn't been tried to find the root cause then it is premature to say it was the last device. Maybe others have gone through the process but if it's not stated what has been done then you don't know. Even getting speeds back by putting old gear back or connecting to the modem just says it is setup or even authenticated to work with the ISP. 

I truly hope people get resolution but I encourage everyone to make sure all troubleshooting has been done and Support (ISP and Google) have been engaged as well.

Hope you and others get things worked out.

Some useful notes, thanks.

I've been working with my ISP to no avail. They do not register my router MAC and do not need to enable a device on their end. Now tested with my parents router. Plugged in and got full speed straight away, no need to register or alike.

As for Google support, they have passed it onto their engineers and given me instructions on how to arrange a refund via Google store. They said they are investigating a possible big affecting UK nest WiFi pro. From the looks of it, PPPoE seems to be the common factor so far. Affected users in US and Australia as well as the UK.

Sounds like they have an idea for sure. PPPoE has always been a source of issues across the board, especially with routers.

I'm not sure how many have done so but maybe getting bug reports and tickets created will help get additional attention and help. 

Thanks for the additional info.

Are you using a PPPoE connection? 

You issues.spunds different to a lot of ours

I'm not. I have Spectrum internet with an Arris SB6190 modem (personally bought). The modem is bridged to the Nest Wifi Pro with WAN set to DHCP on the Pro.

Dazzle282
Community Member

It’s definitely not just the speed tests that are wrong, if I connect an Ethernet cable it’s still the same speed on ookla, 1/10 of what it should be. 
I bought them from Amazon so it’s simple enough to return them, I’m going to keep an eye on here and try them again in a couple of weeks, if it’s still the same I’ll be returning them.

sliyk
Community Member

Good decision to get them from Amazon as I did the same. Easier to return if they don't get fixed

NerdJolt
Community Member

Same issue here on an FTTP 500Mbps connection using PPPoE, only seeing 50Mbps. when testing with the ISP-provided router and another router I'm seeing the full speeds as expected. I cant even get my Pixel 7 pro to connect to wifi 6E, overall not impressed. If they don't have this resolved in the next week then ill be returning the units and going back to my Asus wifi6 router.

Dorkimoe
Community Member

My mesh point is wired and I’m getting 90mbs, but on the main one I get 700. Shouldn’t be 90 on the second one at all. Any fix?

Mike30
Community Member

Does it say that's it's wired in the Google home app? Have you tried resetting the satellite node?

Dorkimoe
Community Member

it does say its wired. ill try unplug and plugging it all back in

Dorkimoe
Community Member

Rebooting helped a lot but now it doesn’t say wired. Where do I check that in the app. Isn’t it under points?

Whoops. Ok rebooting helped for like 5 min. Back down to 90. So weird it’s like it’s capped at 90

Mike30
Community Member

That's super odd, what happens if you bring the nodes much closer together?

Dorkimoe
Community Member

Their already somewhat close. Maybe 50 ft with some walls in the way. I’m sitting 2 ft from the node and getting 94. 2 ft from the main one I get 400 plus 

Estragon
Community Member

I'm having the same issues. 

My background: 3 floors townhouse built in 2019 with ont box placed under the stairs (I know...) and bt 900mb. I was using the old BT white discs (3 of them) and getting 250mb max on wifi. Strong signal all over the house.

Switched to Nest Wifi Pro 3 pack and I get 500+mb if I place my phone on the router; signal much weaker throughout the house (marked as "Fair" on the pixel 6) and a max 200mb download speed if set up as pppoe.

I'm sending it back as I can't justify the cost at the moment, but I did love the ease of use.

Looking maybe at XT8.

Just to add: download speed on wifi is about 120mb. My PC, wired to the back of one point, gets 180mb.

deanhtid99
Community Member

I chased Google support this morning and they said the following:

Thanks for checking back in. Our team is still on top of this and we'll loop back in once we have an update.

so we’re still no further forward currently. 

I suggest if you haven’t already, message @madebygoogle on twitter. The more support cases raised the higher the chance of it being resolved. 

Cheers 

I got the same response. I'll be printing my return label tomorrow when I head into the office

junton
Community Member

I brought mine back to the store yesterday. I felt a sense of relief. I assume this will all be resolved at some point in the future, but I’m glad I don’t have to setup a mesh and tear it down over and over to troubleshoot any more

I’ll be doing the same if it’s not resolved in the next few days

Yeah I’ll be doing the same if it’s not resolved soon 

Peter-maude
Community Member

Same here, wish I had seen this thread, before google support sent me on a wild goose chase for an hour.  usual turn it on and off again, replace DNS ugh.  Getting a call back tomorrow, after they took some diagnostics.    They tried the old ah its a double nat problem.  Even when it was only their router plugged into the ONT modem.  I have Google wifi, its fine fast, but the pro is capped at 50mb, same as everyone else here