So, my WiFi Pro arrived today and I was really excited to get it setup. I set everything up using the Google Home app and downloaded the updates. I have a fiber gigabit connection from my provider and their most recent modem. My wired connections are pegged to about 90Mbps. My Nest WiFi (non Pro) was getting 900+Mbps wired.
My troubleshooting has been the following:
My Nest WiFi Pro is in DHCP WAN mode and connected directly to the 10Gbps ethernet port on my modem. I am using a mix of CAT 5 and CAT 6 cabling and my switches are all gigabit or higher.
Plugging the old Nest WiFi (non Pro) back in yields 900+Mbps on wired connections.
I think something is wrong
I had same issue with 10% speed. Mine was solved by swapping ethernet cable between modem and Nest Pro unit. The old ethernet cable from my old Nest Wifi unit (flat, white) looks exactly the same as the new one but was throttling my speed. Very strange.
Just to throw in my experience, and to bump this thread for increased visibility.
PPPoE on BT FTTP, 40-50MB download and upload, with an unloaded latency of 4ms and loaded of 400ms+.
No devices connected other than the phone (for set-up) and a laptop for when testing directly wired. Wired or WiFi, doesn't make a difference. The download is around 15% of what I get with other routers.
I'm hoping for a fast fix (10 days), otherwise, these are being sent back. Went back to my Huawei AX3 mesh set-up for now.
Oh, and Googles built I speed test says 180-200 Mb, which, even if practically true, is still half of what I get.
Experiencing the same issue. I’ve called BT numerous times as it didn’t strike me this could be an issue with Google Nest Wi-Fi Pro, but now I see it is! Will give it a few days before I look to return the product.
Having exactly the same issue as all of you. Using it with EE (OpenReach, same as BT) on the 900MB package and only seeing speeds of between 50MB and 150MB (the higher of those was this morning). I spent hours yesterday looking into this and tried multiple cables to the ONT and following all the troubleshooting guides but to no avail. Using the same PPPo£ settings as the EE provided router. Plugging in the same cable from the ONT to the Nest Wifi Pro into the EE Smart Hub gets me the full 900MB. I get the same slow speeds in the Home app AND when doing a speed test over ethernet connected to my laptop. I'm beginning to regret swapping out old Nest Wifi but was impatient for better performance...that worked out well. Waiting on Google now unfortunately!
I did a test. Reverted back to my old nest wifi (not the pro). Then connected the pro to the old one, via ethernet, set it up as a new network, and set it to bridge mode. Now getting 600mb down, compared with 50mp before. It is something to do with a direct connection to the ONT modem. So it can be solved if there is another router handling connection with the modem. Not ideal, and it needs fixing, but it will help show to google engineers, its not :
- your walls
- your cables
- etc etc
Yeah, I don't think we should have too, but if you have one, like the previous model, it seems to sort it out. It means, it can be used whilst they fix the issue. I put the Nest Wifi Pro into bridge mode, not the router connecting to the ONT. I could try it the other way around. Though I have a worry it (the pro) then would be doing the PPPoE protocol, maybe?? and could result in the same issue
Same here as well. I have a 1gb fiber connection. I'm only getting 250-300mbps on all points. (I disconnected the 2 points and ran a speed test just from the main point that is plugged directly into modem with cat6 cable. Still only 250-300mbps. My old nest wifi was getting 500-600mbps. Google needs to fix this. I can return mine in the next 45 days to Best Buy. If there is no improvement within that time, I will be returning this and going to something else. I only upgraded to wifi pro because, my nest wifi points kept disconnecting or losing signal which was disappointing as well. Hopefully they have a fix soon!
The third router in my network is connected wired to the mesh network. This connection has suddenly gone and has been replace by the mesh (wireless) connection. I cannot get back the wired connection. I tried the google chat, factory reset, other cable.
I connected this cable directly to my laptop and got maximum download. I plug it in the nest pro router and this router won't recognize this cable and keeps it in mesh mode instead of wired mode.
And furthermore: the connection is instable. About 20 times a day the routers start flashing yellow and I have to unpower en repower them.
I had the first google wifi network for 6 years without problems. Replacing it with nest pro was not a good idea. I'll wait a couple of days to see some improvements (firmware or software update), otherwise I'l send it back.
I just switched from Nest Wifi (not pro), and I was getting 900Mbps down on the Home App Wifi test, but now with the Nest Wifi Pro unit, I'm getting ~600Mbps, and that's only when it works. Most days (like today), the Nest Wifi Pro struggles to keep an internet connection at all and I have to manually powercycle both the modem and router to get it working again. Thinking about reinstalling my Nest Wifi non-Pro routers and returning the Pros until the bugs get worked out.