cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pause internet for all devices except a group

jamesjhughes
Community Member

Hi All

I want to have a pause schedule that I can apply to all devices, except those that I put in a "no pause" group.   I used to have this on an old router that offered device access control.  I don't understand why Google hasn't implemented this, unless I can't see it.

The reason I want this - I am controlling access to the internet for my children's devices so want to turn access off at a specified time in the evening.  However, the control is based on MAC address, and they have discovered how to get the network cards on the PCs to assign a new random MAC address.  All kudos to them, but this could be solved by having a "block all bar an exception group" approach.

3 REPLIES 3

JWillRVA
Community Member

Note: Family Wi-Fi features can't be used with devices that use a Private Address or Randomized MAC Address. This setting on your phone, tablet, computer, or other device prevents them from being identified. If you experience problems trying to use Family Wi-Fi, change or disable your device's Randomized MAC setting.

In the Home app

Under Favorites -> WiFi -> Family Wi-fi 

Its separate from the Automation Routines settings.

source: https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/7535858?hl=en#zippy=

jamesjhughes
Community Member

Thanks @JWillRVA 
I know this answer.   However,  if Google implement a schedule applicable to all bar a group, they wouldn't have this limitation.  

I'm thinking of returning these devices and going with a different brand.  There just seems to be too many limitations to the implimentation.

JWillRVA
Community Member

I agree! Seems like a very reasonable and simple fix on their end. I wish there were more transparency on what features are currently being worked on.