cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VLAN tagging for Google Nest Wifi Pro

rooroorogue
Community Member

I need to use PPPoE with a VLAN ID of 10 in order to connect to my ISP

Is it possible to set a VLAN ID for Google Nest WIFI Pro?

1 Recommended Answer

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

As it mentions in the article you linked to, you'll first need to connect your Nest Wifi Pro to a managed network switch or VLAN-supported router, in order that it can download a firmware update to support VLAN tagging. Once updated, you should then be able to remove that switch or router from the equation.

With that said, I have seen varying results from users who have needed to go through this process, and they ended up keeping a managed network switch to just handle the VLAN tagging part.

View Recommended Answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

As it mentions in the article you linked to, you'll first need to connect your Nest Wifi Pro to a managed network switch or VLAN-supported router, in order that it can download a firmware update to support VLAN tagging. Once updated, you should then be able to remove that switch or router from the equation.

With that said, I have seen varying results from users who have needed to go through this process, and they ended up keeping a managed network switch to just handle the VLAN tagging part.

rooroorogue
Community Member

Thank you for your response. I did connect it to my other modem using DHCP and I was able to complete the updates. However, it still has no VLAN ID setting available. 

The power adaptor on this Google Nest WIFI Pro takes up too much space. I end up losing a power socket or two so using a managed switch is not ideal.

I'm going to return this device back to the store 

rooroorogue
Community Member

Considering this device has WIFI 6E, and I've only just purchased it on 6th April 2024, I'm presuming that the firmware is later than 2020.

Also, the Google Home app did complete a number of updates during the setup process. Is there a way we can verify the firmware version? Is there another way to access the modem other than through the Google Home app?

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

In the Google Home app, tap Wi-Fi, tap X points, tap your Nest Wifi router, then tap the settings cog at the top right. You'll see the firmware version next to "software version" underneath "Wi-Fi information". There is no other way to view and manage Nest Wifi other than to use the Google Home app.

carguy143
Community Member

Why can't Google just give us VLAN tag ID settings in the PPPoE settings without having to mess around plugging in routers and or managed switches?

It just seems to complicate things further.