cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Will isolated 2.4ghz network for iot ever be an option?

onajaggedsky
Community Member

At my wits end trying to make nanoleaf products work with my Google Nest Pro router. From my understand the guest network no longer defaults to 2.4ghz and is dual band which prevents me from using it for nanoleaf. Why in God's name is an isolated 2.4ghz network not just a basic feature like every other router on planet Earth? If someone from Google can't at least say they are considering it as a feature I need to just give up on this product. Thank you for your consideration.

1 Recommended Answer

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Unfortunately, some devices like the one you have don't seem to handle Wi-Fi networks which use the same network name for all the Wi-Fi bands (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, 6 GHz) very well. Typically, the most common workaround for this is to add a 2.4 GHz only access point to your setup, perhaps repurposing an old router just for this purpose. Alternatively, if this is critical to you or you have lots of these types of devices, you would need to consider a different Wi-Fi solution than Nest Wifi as unfortunately Google haven't made any announcements or feature changes to make working with these 2.4 GHz only devices easier.

View Recommended Answer in original post

6 REPLIES 6

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Unfortunately, some devices like the one you have don't seem to handle Wi-Fi networks which use the same network name for all the Wi-Fi bands (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, 6 GHz) very well. Typically, the most common workaround for this is to add a 2.4 GHz only access point to your setup, perhaps repurposing an old router just for this purpose. Alternatively, if this is critical to you or you have lots of these types of devices, you would need to consider a different Wi-Fi solution than Nest Wifi as unfortunately Google haven't made any announcements or feature changes to make working with these 2.4 GHz only devices easier.

@David_K  I think this would work as well. I like the idea of repurposing  an old router. Kudos

Best regards,
Apsilon
"I fight for the users"

Thank you David I appreciate the reply. Are you aware of or could you recommend a specific 2.4ghz only wireless AP that plays nice with Google Nest Pro?

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

You can't go far wrong with TP-Link.

Apsilon778
Community Member

That would be a cool feature to support legacy hardware,  however, with Matter devices, there are features that will better segregate IoT devices. 

As a workaround, you could put those IOT devices in a guest network. 

Best regards,
Apsilon
"I fight for the users"

The guest network on nest wifi pro is forced dual band now as well.