cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New ADT+ System Connection Issues

MattWhiteUSRNJ
Community Member

After many years using a Nest Guard with 100% satisfaction, I was informed that support for Nest Secure would be ending and that Google would be transitioning their security services to ADT.  I took advantage of the promotion to replace my Nest with an ADT Self Startup System.  I was shipped an ADT Smart Home Hub and directed to install the ADT+ app on my phone. 

The new device simply will not pair with my phone or with my Google Home network.  When I follow the startup instructions on the ADT+ app, the activation fails every time on the "Connect Your Smart Home to Wi-Fi" screen, with an error dialogue that reads "Unable to pair due to an unexpected failure.  Please try again."  No context is provided on what the failure is, or how I might fix the connection.

The LED light on top of the Hub is alternating yellow/green which indicates the device is connected to the network.  Additionally, I see the Hub listed among the connected devices on my iPhone's Bluetooth settings.  I can also see that it has successfully connected to my Wi-Fi router.  Still, inside the ADT+ app, I cannot progress past "Unable to pair due to unexpected failure. Please try again."

I have had the ADT equipment in my possession for more than a day and attempt to complete the Startup every few hours.  I have been through 2 rounds of IT dialogue with ADT technical support without success.  I also booked a virtual session with a higher-tier ADT support rep.  The first-available appointment was two days from now.  So, in the meantime, my home will be unprotected, which is not a great feeling.  I purchased my Nest Secure in the first place because of break-ins.

In short, the ADT transition feels like a sizable step backwards from my Nest Secure.  It's a shame that my Nest devices (which were only 3 years old, and a fairly expensive investment in Google technology) were sunsetted in favor of inadequate new hardware. 

9 REPLIES 9

HuberDohm
Community Member

Good information.  We are hesitant to contact ADT and this now creates even more hesitation.  I will mention your issue when I do speak with them later this morning.

MattWhiteUSRNJ
Community Member

Update: I spent 1 full hour on the phone today with two different ADT technical service reps.  Still no solution.  I have been booked for a fourth consultation (virtual with webcam) two days from now (the tech's first availability).  The ADT devices cannot see any Wi-Fi signals, despite the fact that my Nest thermostat functions through the ADT+ app using my home Wi-Fi network.  How much longer will they waste my time before admitting they shipped me a faulty device?

I'm in the same situation. Please let me know if there is a solution to this. 

MattWhiteUSRNJ
Community Member

Another update.  I answered the call for my scheduled virtual appointment today (after waiting two days).  The technician on the phone quickly realized he was in the 'wrong department' to be able to assist me.  I was transferred twice, then re-scheduled with another virtual technician later this afternoon who (fingers crossed) is with the correct department.  

gidget5169
Community Member

I was finally able to set mine set up. Held the reset button until the firmware updated. 

MattWhiteUSRNJ
Community Member

Update: So last week, I was scheduled for two separate "virtual support sessions" with ADT.  Both times, when I answered the call at the scheduled time, the IT rep on the other side of the phone informed me, they were in "wrong department" to be able to assist me.  I was transferred back to numerous regular support agents.  With each new rep, I was instructed to re-download the app, then hard reset the device.  I have done this again and again and again... with no change in the situation.  I was finally shipped a new device, which I unboxed and plugged in today.  I ran through the setup guide and, guess what, it STILL doesn't work.  The process continually breaks down where I should be able to connect the device to my Wi-Fi.  I can only ask you to believe me when I say that I am pretty tech proficient.  I have been on the phone with nearly a dozen folks from ADT at this point, and I am frustrated that I see no clear path to getting the thing to work.  Begrudgingly, I will run through the call process with Technical Support again, but it is looking more and more likely that I will have to completely give up and search for a comparable system from a different home security provider.

Hi Matt, do you have any update on this? I'm in the EXACTLY the same situation you were in when the thread was posted. Several rounds of virtual tech support with no luck, replaced with the second hub still didn't work. Now ADT trying to schedule me the 5th virtual tech support but I just simple had enough.

HuberDohm
Community Member

I almost hate to tell you this, but we got our system up and running on the first attempt.  We’ve had no issues at all. I’m so sorry to hear you are still struggling.

MJR1969
Community Member

Same issue here. Garbage product. Can't connect.