cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

All nest devices can't launch media sources

Joe_B
Community Member

In the last few days, I have experienced an issue where my nest devices don't seem able to actually play music themselves.

When I say "Hey google, play ____ on ____" it goes "Ok, playing _____ on _____" and then it thinks for a minute as if it's loading, then just gives up and nothing ever plays. I have 2 nest hub 2nd gens, and 2 nest minis. They all work the same way. And it doesn't seem to be a platform specific issue. I've encountered this with spotify, youtube, youtube music, etc. I can open the nest hub versions of these apps and play content, and I can cast it from my phone, but starting it with my voice just doesn't work. This is very irritating.

6 REPLIES 6

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Have not noticed any issues here, in a case like this I always suggest a powe cycle of both the device as well as the router just to be safe, then see if the issue continues. 

Incognito_007
Community Member

Same here! Since yesterday.

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Did you try a reboot the nest device and your router ? Not a factory reset just power cycle both and try again.  Also what country are you located in, and what platform are you trying to play on? Ie YouTube music ? 

Incognito_007
Community Member

Just came home and tried again. Seems to work fine now (Netherlands). Without booting. Yesterday it was a mess, but it resolved automatically, so it seems. It just didn't want to respond on the Youtube Music service. All other instructions or TuneIN worked fine. It just became silent after confirming it was going to play what I wanted. Just a temporary hickup maybe.

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Well that's good news at least!  Keep an eye on it of course, but usually it's just a connection issue unless there's larger issues under the hood. 

Joe_B
Community Member

Okay...after more tests it seems like the issue is when a speaker is a part of a group and I have audio default to play on a group. I think my speaker groups are just buggy, because now my speakers are still trying to play audio on a group when I've deleted the group and my settings in the Home app say that they are just playing on that speaker now. I'll have to spend some more time with it.