cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadcast not working - Nest Mini

Aubreecworth
Community Member

I use “broadcast” a ton throughout the day to communicate to others across our home. A few days ago it stopped working. I say “hey google, broadcast (followed by message)” and it says “sorry, I didn’t understand” every single time! 
I have to say “hey google, broadcast” and then wait for google to respond with “what’s the message” and then say my message. This is hugely inconvenient and frustrating for us. 

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

We have purchased 8 devices to have across our house and use it primarily for broadcasting. Without the ability to do it quickly, these devices are useless to us. 

1 Recommended Answer

Hi there, 

I understand how frustating it can be when your device isn't working as expected. 

I'd like to ask a question:

Are you trying to cast from a mobile device? 

if you're trying to broadcast from a mobile device, this feature was been removed as part of some recent changes to Google Assistant. If you'd like to learn more about these changes, you can visit here: Changes we’re making to Google Assistant

You can also try the instructions here:

• You can still broadcast between Nest devices, but you have to issue the command from a Nest device. 
  • Double check that bouth Nest Minis are connected to the same WI-FI network, this is crucial for them to work together. 

Let me know how it goes, 

Best regards, 

Melany

View Recommended Answer in original post

7 REPLIES 7

derousse
Community Member

Broadcast has also stopped working for me within the last day or two.  Your trick of saying "Broadcast" and then waiting for the prompt does work, but this doesn't help me because I'm using the Google Assistant SDK from Home Assistant to make announcements and those also stopped working.

Hi there, 

I understand how frustating it can be when your device isn't working as expected. 

I'd like to ask a question:

Are you trying to cast from a mobile device? 

if you're trying to broadcast from a mobile device, this feature was been removed as part of some recent changes to Google Assistant. If you'd like to learn more about these changes, you can visit here: Changes we’re making to Google Assistant

You can also try the instructions here:

• You can still broadcast between Nest devices, but you have to issue the command from a Nest device. 
  • Double check that bouth Nest Minis are connected to the same WI-FI network, this is crucial for them to work together. 

Let me know how it goes, 

Best regards, 

Melany

Melany,

Thanks for your response.  Google has fixed this issue in recent days so things are back to working normally.

Thanks,

Mike

We are having Broadcasting issues. We can Broadcast a message to all devices, but we cannot Broadcast to a room/device. The message we get back from Google is "sorry it looks like there isn't anything named "Living Room" in your account. I have reset the WiFi router and did a factory reset on the Living Room mini. Still nothing. I do have full control of all devices in the Home app. This is very frustrating, Broadcasting to individual rooms is a top use for us.

Hi Jesse.  We have the same thing.  I have just been on online chat with Google and they have said the ability to broadcast to specific devices has been removed.  I said that's fine we will move to Alexa!  It is one of the most important features and they have removed it, along with being able to ask a speaker to set a media alarm which now has to be done via a routine in the Home app.  Bit tricky for an eight year old to be able to set up a routine in the home app compared to asking his speaker to set an alarm.  They are just removing the most useful aspects of google Home

RockGlide
Community Member

Google has NOT fixed this issue! I am still getting the response "sorry it looks like there isn't anything named "Living Room" in your account. "

If the main goal is for Google to push users to the competition -- congratulations! Mission accomplished.

derousse
Community Member

This issue of not being able to broadcast to a specific device is a different issue than the one reported at the top of this thread.  The ability to broadcast to all devices with a single voice command was broken but is now fixed.